PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Noob unsuccessfully trying to install Ubuntu.

ions82
February 15th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Well, I've finally decided to explore the wonderful world of Linux. I've chosen Ubuntu as it seems to be a good option for newbies. I created an install disc and tried running it right from there. It took a while but seemed to load up just fine. However, I have been unable to install it onto the system. The process arrives at the point where I need to enter my info, and it just continues to say that it is waiting on me. It doesn't allow me to proceed after entering all the information. Am I overlooking something simple? If you can point me in the right direction, please post! Thank you for your help.

kn0w-b1nary
February 15th, 2011, 10:08 PM
hardware specs please?

snowpine
February 15th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Is your username all lower-case letters? That is a common hang-up. :)

ions82
February 15th, 2011, 10:26 PM
hardware specs please?

Right now, I'm working with a non-profit that takes older/donated computers and "refurbishes" them in an effort to get them to individuals that need them. The organization bought a bunch of licenses for Windows XP and Office 2007, but we've been having nothing but problems. So, I figured we should probably try a Linux-based approach and see how it does.

Anyway, the systems we are working on are mainly a bunch of Dell Optiplex GX260 towers. Most have either 512mb or 1GB of RAM. I believe all the processors are 1.8Ghz P4s. They should probably just be recycled, but it's all we've got to work with at this point. Is there a chance it might be a hardware issue? I've only tried it on one system thus far.

As for the user name... I included both upper and lower case. I'll play around with it a little more and see if anything changes. Thank you for the help thus far!

snowpine
February 15th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Your username needs to be all lower-case, give it a try and see if you can proceed with the install. :)

ions82
February 15th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Your username needs to be all lower-case, give it a try and see if you can proceed with the install. :)

Oh, man. That's all it was! I'm such a bonehead. Then again, I looked around but didn't see anything specifying such. Thank you for the help with this simple fix. I look forward to exploring this great operating system and learning how to utilize all of its advantages.

dBuster
February 15th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Anyway, the systems we are working on are mainly a bunch of Dell Optiplex GX260 towers. Most have either 512mb or 1GB of RAM. I believe all the processors are 1.8Ghz P4s. They should probably just be recycled, but it's all we've got to work with at this point. Is there a chance it might be a hardware issue? I've only tried it on one system thus far.

Hey nothing wrong with that computer as that is what my work has provided me on my desktop. Unfortunately though running windows. I have however been able to run Ubuntu on it without any problems, shh don't tell my work that I did that. Actually this computer likes to run Ubuntu way faster than any windows XP...