PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] hard disk failure

Homunculi
February 15th, 2011, 07:48 PM
help

after my upgrades i noticed one hard drive was acting funny i was gonna reformat the drive anyway to totally remove winblows from my system
grub was installed on the boot sector of the drive that failed how can i get the next drive in line to boot if some one can get me to a howto or tell me what i need to do short there of reinstalling the operating system

thanks

psusi
February 15th, 2011, 08:36 PM
What makes you think the other drive has anything on it that can be booted? If you remove the first disk, then your bios should use the other one. Also there is usually an option when booting like press F12 to choose boot device, or go into the bios setup and you can usually set the boot order.

tgalati4
February 15th, 2011, 08:46 PM
You would need to install grub to the boot sector of the second drive. You may or may not want to move it on the ribbon cable (if it's IDE). Find an Ubuntu LiveCD and boot from it. There are several posts on reinstalling grub in the forums.

Homunculi
February 15th, 2011, 08:52 PM
drive 1 sata wd250gb (failed)
drive 2 sata wd320gb ubuntu
drive 3 sata sgt320gb storage
drive 4 plextor dvddl
drive 5 pioneer dvddl
drive 6 sony dvddl

i left the wd250gb on there and winblows installed on it if i needed windows i have not booted to it in 4 years now cause i like the linux system

post me the link or direct me to the how too ...
ty ty

rock on :guitar:

Homunculi
February 16th, 2011, 05:20 PM
ok i do not know what to do now ... i booted from a live cd .. even tried the util supergrub ..

the /home partition says unknown i need 2 files out of there if anyone has a idea as to how to get on there .. cause mount will not let me in
i can read the root and the /usr/local partition

[ 4318.423386] VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sdb3.
[ 4318.423723] qnx4: wrong fsid in superblock.
[ 4371.719318] EXT4-fs (sdb3): VFS: Can't find ext4 filesystem
[ 5044.269368] VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sdb3.

is my information lost ? i just need one file out of there
or is there a util i can get the information i need out ....

some one please let me know ... thanks

Homunculi
February 17th, 2011, 08:34 PM
thanks for the ideas and the help

i got my information off the partition ... just needed to do a little digging

the programs i used were supergrub testdisk and fsck
supergrub was able to boot my root partition to a terminal where i was able to run testdisk on the drive to check the integrity of the drive and partition table...
after seeing a invalid superblock for the /home partition and fdisk -l listed the partition as a linux drive i rebooted under the live cd for 10.04

i ran fsck against the partition that was corrupted ... it renamed all my files to #xxxxxx for the sector blocks they were in

from a terminal i mounted the partition to view the contents of the partition
then used sudo nautilus to copy the files i need out to a cd-r
and recovered all my payroll information and spreadsheets for the stores ...(needless to say i will be backing them up to a flash drive more often now)

was able to get lucid installed back and running
with no data loss

thanks again for any and all help

rock on :guitar: