PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Terminal keyboard shortcut

Zucriy Amsuna
February 15th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I really cannot find this anywhere. What I want to do is learn how to make the keyboard shortcuts using System > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts. I can't find how to open the terminal with it. (Yes, I know there is already a preexisting shortcut for it. I just want to know how to add another shortcut for it.)

mikewhatever
February 15th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Just hit add in the Keyboard shortcuts window. The command to use is gnome-terminal.

cjhabs
February 15th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I really cannot find this anywhere. What I want to do is learn how to make the keyboard shortcuts using System > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts. I can't find how to open the terminal with it. (Yes, I know there is already a preexisting shortcut for it. I just want to know how to add another shortcut for it.)

Use "Add" to enter a description and the command that is to be run.
This will add it to the list.
Click in the shortcut field for that entry and enter the key combination you wish to use to trigger the shortcut.

For a terminal the command is "/usr/bin/gnome-terminal"

howefield
February 15th, 2011, 03:18 PM
If I am understanding you correctly, you want to add a keyboard short which will open up a terminal ? (even though one exists).

Go to System > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts and press the Add button. In the name field type Run a Terminal or whatever you want it to be called and in the Command field type gnome-terminal, then press the apply button.

This will place a line under Custom Shortcuts, double click on "New Shortcut" and use the keyboard combination that you want.

1ll3xc
February 15th, 2011, 03:39 PM
While at the topic - as no one mentioned it - the existing shortcut for opening a terminal is CTRL + ALT + T.

Personally I used to prefer the run-dialog (ALT + F2)and "gnome-terminal" but now am hopelessly devoted to Gnome-Do :p (SUPER + SPACE + "t" or occassionally "term".)

Cheers!

Zucriy Amsuna
March 1st, 2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks. ^_^ gnome-terminal was all I needed to know.

Solved.

Krytarik
March 2nd, 2011, 04:33 AM
Hint: You can lookup any program name by opening its .destkop-file in "/usr/share/applications" from within the text-editor.

Greetings.