PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Website doesnt render correctly

scouser27
February 15th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Hi all

Wondering if anyone has seen anything strange with ubuntu.com (and kubuntu.com for that matter).

Under XP SP3, the website rarely (if ever) renders into a usable page, and yet if I boot into Ubuntu or Lubuntu, I can browse straight to it without difficulty. I use the Iron browser (derivate of Chrome), I also use firefox. Same results from both.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance

bvtest
February 15th, 2011, 01:23 AM
It's possible that it could be due to the upcoming hardware upgrade, I'll check and see if my xp shows the same thing tho. Since I am on ubuntu right now.

matt_symes
February 15th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Hi

Do you have a screen shot you could post ?

Kind regards

bvtest
February 15th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Thats strange, it came up just fine on my XP..but yeah a screenshot would be nice.

scouser27
February 15th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Thanks for quick replies.

I should have added a bit more info. When I say doesn't render correctly, I mean it doesn't render at all.

The tab title says Ubuntu Homepage | Ubuntu and if I look at the page source, it all looks present and correct, complete with <html> to start and </html> to end, but nothing else. No text, no pictures. Accordingly, a screen grab is not going to show anything here.

PRC09
February 15th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Strange,mine has the search box in the upper right corner overlaying my login box........

matt_symes
February 15th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Hi

Try cleaning out the cache, cookies etc. It's odd because it's fine on my Windows 7 install and also my XP running in a VM (both running FF).

Strange,mine has the search box in the upper right corner overlaying my login box........

I had that for about 10 minutes the other day when the forums were being updated.

Kind regards

PRC09
February 15th, 2011, 01:38 AM
Edit: My problem was adblock...Turned it off on ubuntuforums.org and my problem is gone.....

robert shearer
February 15th, 2011, 01:45 AM
What screen resolution are you using ??

scouser27
February 15th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Folks,

Could you check some details for me please.

Firefox reports a page size of 7475 bytes for www.ubuntu.com

Strangely, Firefox is at least getting the correct icon to use on the tab.

thanks

scouser27
February 15th, 2011, 01:51 AM
I'm on a netbook - 1024x600

As mentioned previously, it works fine on same computer using Lubuntu.

Thanks

scouser27
February 15th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Plot thickens a little:

If I type in anything into the google search box of firefox, hit enter and then quickly press escape to stop the searching, the contents of the unsuccessfully loading ubuntu.com page are actually displayed.

This is really weird.

matt_symes
February 15th, 2011, 02:12 AM
Hi

When you load the page and it does not render press F5 to reload the page. Does it render then ?

Kind regards

scouser27
February 15th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Matt,

thanks for your continued efforts on this.

When I reload, I get the same thing - blank screen.

I'm at work at the moment, using XP Pro SP2 and I've no difficulties.

I think I'll go through Lubuntu this evening, do a tracert from Linux and repeat the steps through XP. They should give the same result, but it'll be interesting if they don't.

Thanks
Sc27