PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing GDL

Sergei Schmalz
February 14th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Greetings!

I run Ubuntu 10.10 within the VirtualBox. Although I'm new to Ubuntu I badly need to install GDL (to be able to use NASA's SolarSoft for image reduction), so I tried it following the descriptions given by Kenneth Desmond (click me (http://www.physics.emory.edu/students/kdesmond/InstallingGDL.html)) with the only difference, that he is writing there about gdl-0.9rc1, while I downloaded the latest gdl-0.9.tar.gz.

After deleting the FALSE parameter within the file plot3d_nr.cpp I proceeded with installation and the first problem that I encountered while doing sudo apt-get install netcdfg-dev libhdf5-serial-dev libplplot-dev plplot9-driver-xwin libhdf4g-dev libreadline5-dev gsl-bin libgsl0-dev was the message:

Unable to locate package netcdfg-dev
What to do?

The rest was installed properly.

Then, when I ran ./configure --with-python=no it did well in the beginning, scrolling line by line further, but when it came to the line:

checking for stifle_history in -lreadline... no
it showed me an error message:

Error! GNU readline was not found.
Use --with-readlinedir=no to explicitely disable it
Check the README or use configure --help for other libraries needed
What to do?

And finally, I just ignored the above two errors and went on with installation process and did make, and it just told me:

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
What should I do about this?

Similarly, after I ignored this and did sudo make install it also told me:

make: *** No rule to make target 'install'. Stop.
What does this mean?

I'd appreciate any help. Many thanks in advance!

Sergei Schmalz
February 15th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Anybody any help?

FrenchyFungus
February 18th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Greetings!

I run Ubuntu 10.10 within the VirtualBox. Although I'm new to Ubuntu I badly need to install GDL (to be able to use NASA's SolarSoft for image reduction), so I tried it following the descriptions given by Kenneth Desmond (click me (http://www.physics.emory.edu/students/kdesmond/InstallingGDL.html)) with the only difference, that he is writing there about gdl-0.9rc1, while I downloaded the latest gdl-0.9.tar.gz.

After deleting the FALSE parameter within the file plot3d_nr.cpp I proceeded with installation and the first problem that I encountered while doing sudo apt-get install netcdfg-dev libhdf5-serial-dev libplplot-dev plplot9-driver-xwin libhdf4g-dev libreadline5-dev gsl-bin libgsl0-dev was the message:

What to do?

The rest was installed properly.

Then, when I ran ./configure --with-python=no it did well in the beginning, scrolling line by line further, but when it came to the line:

it showed me an error message:

What to do?

And finally, I just ignored the above two errors and went on with installation process and did make, and it just told me:

What should I do about this?

Similarly, after I ignored this and did sudo make install it also told me:

What does this mean?

I'd appreciate any help. Many thanks in advance!
It's in the repositories.

sudo apt-get install gnudatalanguage

A newer version is also available here: http://aramis.obspm.fr/~coulais/IDL_et_GDL/Ubuntu/Packaging-Download_pageFR.html

That page is in French, though. Look for "Paquets binaires disponibles gdl-0.9rc4" then choose the right architecture beside "Pour Ubuntu 10.04 LTS"

Or use Google Translate...

EDIT: run with "gdl"