PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome Right Click Menu

Buzzthebuzzsaw
February 14th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Hi All,

Does anyone know of a way to change the order of the items in the Gnome Desktop right click menu?
What I'd like to be able to do is have Open Terminal as the first item in the right click menu.

This is the most used item for me and ideally I'd like to also trim the menu down by removing the various create options on the menu.

Any help on this would be great,
Thanks,
Buzz

GrouchyGaijin
February 15th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Hi All,

Does anyone know of a way to change the order of the items in the Gnome Desktop right click menu?
What I'd like to be able to do is have Open Terminal as the first item in the right click menu.

This is the most used item for me and ideally I'd like to also trim the menu down by removing the various create options on the menu.

Any help on this would be great,
Thanks,
Buzz
Do you mean in the scripts menu that is in the right click menu?
I don't have an open terminal option when I right click.
I have a Nautilus script to open a terminal here.
The scripts are all alphabetical so you could rename that script to something starting with an A or perhaps a *.

Buzzthebuzzsaw
February 15th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Actually I mean in the desktop right click menu itself.
I've created an item in the Scripts section which is ok, but considering opening a terminal is the most used item in the menu for me I'd like to set my default to be the item I use most.
Using Nautilus-Actions I've created another item for "Open Terminal" which is in the main menu, but I'd prefer to have it right at the top where I'll be using it most.
I rarely use the create folder option on my desktop and it's actually frustrating when I accidentally click on it.

Thanks for the reply,
Again any help is greatly appreciated!

GrouchyGaijin
February 15th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Hmmmmm I've read a little about Nautilus-Actions but never tried to make any.
Maybe there is something in the man file about that?
Are the things in your menu alphabetical? Can you change the name of the Open Terminal action to An Open Terminal?

Buzzthebuzzsaw
February 15th, 2011, 12:29 AM
The order isn't alphabetical. I've an "Open Terminal", then a "Firefox" item, followed by an "Open Home" item. They are all categorised towards the middle of the menu.
I'd like to be able to properly edit the menu and choose what I want on it and where. In my situation I'd like to have the Open Terminal at the top, but realistically anyone should be able to change the menu to what suits them best.

Thanks for the help so far.

GrouchyGaijin
February 15th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Now I'm playing with Nautilus-Actions too. How exactly did you get the Open Terminal to show up in the right click menu?

asmoore82
February 15th, 2011, 04:58 AM
Now I'm playing with Nautilus-Actions too. How exactly did you get the Open Terminal to show up in the right click menu?

sudo apt-get install nautilus-open-terminal

Ubuntu post install essentials :KS

Buzzthebuzzsaw
February 15th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Thanks for that asmoore82.
Any ideas on how to get the items to the top of the menu?

Buzzthebuzzsaw
February 15th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Anyone know how to put an "Open Terminal" item at the top of the desktop right click menu, and ideally remove the "Create " items altogether from the desktop right click menu?