PDA

View Full Version : [other] How to install LinuxMint in Ubuntu?

BigBig5
February 14th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I have been a Ubuntu user for years and I just found Linux Mint. I want to install Mint in Ubuntu. Can I do that?

MountainX
February 14th, 2011, 10:33 PM
You could install them on separate partitions. If you make a Linux Mint install disk (or USB stick) and start the installation process with it, it will give you a chance to make a separate partition. After finishing the installation, if all goes well, you will be able to boot into either Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

How many years have you been using Ubuntu?

BigBig5
February 14th, 2011, 10:56 PM
I've been using Ubuntu since 2007.

MountainX
February 14th, 2011, 11:02 PM
You'll probably like Linux Mint. I have tried both Ubuntu and Linux Mint and they are both good.

BigBig5
February 14th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Well I have some programs installed in Wine that took me forever to get them to work right. Can I move them over to Mint without uninstalling and reinstalling.

MountainX
February 14th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Well I have some programs installed in Wine that took me forever to get them to work right. Can I move them over to Mint without uninstalling and reinstalling.

I don't know of an easy way to do that. The only way I know would require a re-install. Sorry.

presence1960
February 15th, 2011, 01:45 AM

Cool avatar. I have a Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition. That logo is on a sticker on my desktop case.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 15th, 2011, 02:08 AM

I haven't done this; however, it should work.

If you have a separate /home partition set up with your Ubuntu install, you could install Linux Mint and use the same /home partition. There are tutorials for creating a separate /home partition from a /home folder. To set up Linux Mint to use the same /home partition as Ubuntu would require manual partitioning during the install of Linux Mint. Note: don't format the /home partition. I would choose the Linux Mint version that is based on the Ubuntu version you have installed.

Wine should work with both Ubuntu and Linux Mint that way.

Be sure to backup important files before attempting this.