PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] xargs and files names with spaces problem

abadr
February 14th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to figure out a command to move or delete duplicate files from a directory using 'fdupes' and 'xargs'. Here's what I have so far

fdupes -f . | xargs mv -t ~/duplicates
The problem with this command is that it can't handle file names with spaces in them. Reading xargs's man page there's a --delimiter option which is supposed to accepet /n but when I use it it still splits the file name:

fdupes -f . | xargs --delimiter=\n mv -t ~/duplicates
xargs also has -0 option with works with null sperators but fdupes only used \n as a seperator.
Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks

An Sanct
February 14th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I don't know if this will help, but in Ubuntu, spaces are "escaped" with "\"

example

env WINEPREFIX="/home/an/.wine" wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix /home/an/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/an/Start\ Menu/Programs/Avery\ Dennison/DesignPro\ 5.lnk

This is an actual link from WINE.

MadCow108
February 14th, 2011, 11:05 PM
put the delimiter in quotes:

fdupes -f . | xargs --delimiter="\n" mv -t ~/duplicates

Arndt
February 15th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to figure out a command to move or delete duplicate files from a directory using 'fdupes' and 'xargs'. Here's what I have so far

fdupes -f . | xargs mv -t ~/duplicates
The problem with this command is that it can't handle file names with spaces in them. Reading xargs's man page there's a --delimiter option which is supposed to accepet /n but when I use it it still splits the file name:

fdupes -f . | xargs --delimiter=\n mv -t ~/duplicates
xargs also has -0 option with works with null sperators but fdupes only used \n as a seperator.
Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks

I don't know what 'fdupes' is, but 'xargs' has an option -0, which goes well together with the option -print0 of 'find'. Maybe 'fdupes' has something similar.

geirha
February 15th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Assuming none of the filenames contain newlines, you can use a while read loop instead.

while IFS= read -r file; do
mv "$file" ~/duplicates
done < <(fdupes -f .)

See http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ/001 for more.

The Cog
February 15th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Or this one?

IFS=$'\n'; for f in $(fdupes -f .) ; do mv -t ~/duplicates "$f" ; done

sisco311
February 15th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Or this one?

IFS=$'\n'; for f in $(fdupes -f .) ; do mv -t ~/duplicates "$f" ; done

Nope. Check out the link posted by geirha.

If you use a for loop, you should disable pathname expansion:

oIFS=$IFS IFS=$'\n' ;set -o noglob; for file in $(fdubes -f ./); do echo "$file"; done; IFS=$oIFS ; set +o noglob

abadr
February 20th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Thank you all, the following worked by adding another "\" to the "\n":

fdupes -f . | xargs --delimiter=\\n mv -t ~/duplicates