PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video Card support

sjkregs
February 14th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Can someone please explain to me why the iso's for pclinuxos and Puppy comes with support for Intel and Nvidia video drivers, but Ubuntu does not??

Thanks

mikewhatever
February 14th, 2011, 05:18 PM
... but it does. Both Intel and Nvidia cards work out of the box in Ubuntu.

realzippy
February 14th, 2011, 05:18 PM
ubuntu also supports nvidia:
click, reboot,done.
In puppy + pclinuxos the proprietary driver is preinstalled ?

sjkregs
February 14th, 2011, 10:28 PM
ubuntu also supports nvidia:
click, reboot,done.
In puppy + pclinuxos the proprietary driver is preinstalled ?

Starting with Ubuntu 10.04 my laptop with intel video drivers and my desktop with nvidia drivers does not boot off of the live cd/dvd iso on ubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu, mint and several other distros I have tried, but with work like a charm with all variations of pclinuxosand puppy.They will work using virtual box but blank screen with live cd/dvd.

Frogs Hair
February 14th, 2011, 10:54 PM
My Nvidia card worked out of the box with 3 different Ubuntu releases , but adding the proprietary driver was my choice since there is more than one driver available for my card on Ubuntu.

I have seen proprietary drivers added to video card installation discs for windows , but they're usually out of date by the time the card is sold.

sjkregs
February 15th, 2011, 03:07 AM
My Nvidia card worked out of the box with 3 different Ubuntu releases , but adding the proprietary driver was my choice since there is more than one driver available for my card on Ubuntu.

I have seen proprietary drivers added to video card installation discs for windows , but they're usually out of date by the time the card is sold.

Is there a way to manually add video drivers to the iso so that i can run the live cd/dvd?

Frogs Hair
February 15th, 2011, 03:27 AM
Is there a way to manually add video drivers to the iso so that i can run the live cd/dvd?

I don't if it is possible with Remastersys or not , but you could do some research . Another reason proprietary are not added is they not open source and can't be redistributed .http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/

mikewhatever
February 15th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Starting with Ubuntu 10.04 my laptop with intel video drivers and my desktop with nvidia drivers does not boot off of the live cd/dvd iso on ubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu, mint and several other distros I have tried, but with work like a charm with all variations of pclinuxosand puppy.They will work using virtual box but blank screen with live cd/dvd.

It would be interesting to know what the GPUs are. Can you run lspci on Puppy or PClinux and post the output.

realzippy
February 15th, 2011, 01:05 PM

Think it is possible generally,but I know that it does not work with remastersys;you had to include the nvidia kernel modules,blacklist noveau aso...

Edit:
http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153113 might help....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1644967 also.BTW,lots of hits googling "ubuntu include nvidia driver live CD" ;-)