PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Wont Install

Sharewithmeyourworld
February 14th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Long story short, my brother told me to download Unbuntu 10.10 on my Windows XP Server Pack 3 computer. And I was able to put it on a USB Driver and was able to get on it using the Livecd, just to make sure I like it. When I go to install it, it'll ask me what Language, then it'll Prepare to install after I press forward, after pressing the lil box to download updates and the time circle thing shows up (I've even tried not pushing the box for updates while its downloading). And that's it. I let it stay like that for a day now, and nothing has happened. I've tried restarting it, rebooting it, installing it while I'm in the livecd area. But it keeps doing the same thing. (I even had to sleep with my computer on last night ._.)

I fairly new to computer 'talk' I have NO idea what people mean when they start telling me what to do. So please, please, if anyone answers, either give me steps or dumb it down for me. :(

Hakunka-Matata
February 14th, 2011, 03:07 AM
Can you burn it to CD/DVD instead? USB drives can be problematic depending on age of computer, BIOS, etc.

Hedgehog1
February 14th, 2011, 03:49 AM
When I go to install it, it'll ask me what Language, then it'll Prepare to install after I press forward, after pressing the lil box to download updates and the time circle thing shows up (I've even tried not pushing the box for updates while its downloading). And that's it. I let it stay like that for a day now, and nothing has happened. I've tried restarting it, rebooting it, installing it while I'm in the livecd area. But it keeps doing the same thing. (I even had to sleep with my computer on last night ._.)

Did you do a side-by-side install, or an install that used the whole disk drive?

Are you able to get into Windows XP anymore on it?

Hakunka-Matata
February 14th, 2011, 04:31 AM
If you think the USB drive might be the problem, you might want to redo it using unetbootin (assuming you didn't build it with unetbootin to start with), that's one of the better methods available to create a bootable USB drive. http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Sharewithmeyourworld
February 14th, 2011, 05:41 AM
Hm. Well two of you say it could be the USB. So I think I'll try to put it on the CD (My brother'll tell me how) And I'll post as soon as something may or may not happen >_<

And yes, I can still get onto Windows XP.

Sharewithmeyourworld
February 14th, 2011, 07:32 AM
I used Astroburn Lite to burn the ISO file, Ubuntu, onto the disk and put it on my laptop. The first one, when I booted into it, didn't let the Install Ubuntu open and install. So I restarted it and booted it again, this time it said some Errors and couldn't run Ubuntu at all. So I burned it onto another different disc, and put it on my computer, booted it, took a while for Ubuntu to load, but when it did, it asked for a Username and Password. I never made one, so I put in my name and a password and it wouldn't let me sign in. I haven't even installed Unbuntu/Linux/whatever yet.

Any Suggestions? X_x

P4man
February 14th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Have you tried running the live sessiom ("try ubuntu without installing")?
Does your PC have the required specs, in particular do you have >512 MB ram?

mastablasta
February 14th, 2011, 09:54 AM
what updates? try to install first and then update the system later.

10.10 (whole disk install ) here: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing

also you could try to install with 10.04 version and then upgrade. for side by side install this is a better method as there is a bug in installer in 10.10 i believe. anyway instructions for that are found in Ubuntu manual (see my signature).

Sharewithmeyourworld
February 14th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I burned it on 3 different disc, first two had problems. But when I burnt the disc's on the third time, I used a lower burn rate, at like 12k or something. And had no problems :]. I has Ubuntu on my laptop now ^^. Thank you everyone who has suggested something :]):P

Hakunka-Matata
February 14th, 2011, 11:40 PM
There ya go, congratulations.

Hakunka-Matata
February 14th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Please mark your thread "Solved" if you're finished. (Thread Tools)