PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Difference between KDE and Gnome?

Bernie Gallagher
February 13th, 2011, 10:36 PM
I've noticed that some people prefer KDE to Gnome. Is there any advantage to using KDE. What are the real differences other than cosmetic? If I wanted to, could I replace Gnome with KDE on Ubuntu? Or do I need to replace Ubuntu with Kubuntu?

Copper Bezel
February 13th, 2011, 10:42 PM
You can actually run both desktops and compare them. You'd want to install the (meta)package kubuntu-desktop .

It's a very different workflow and a lot of different choices in the bundled default applications. Ultimately, of course, it's a matter of preference.

To switch between DEs, log out, select your name, and then change the "Session" box at the bottom before you enter your password.

Zorael
February 14th, 2011, 12:06 AM
If you install KDE next to your Ubuntu installation, beware that GTK programs will probably look very ugly. The kubuntu-default-settings (apt://kubuntu-default-settings) package should take care of this, but installing that will probably also change the branding of your machine to Kubuntu's. (boot/shutdown screens, etc)

Bernie Gallagher
February 14th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Oh? I don't want to do that, then. I'll stick with Gnome. I was just curious about the differences, is all.

BTW, I found this with an Ixquick search: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome

That pretty much answers my question :-)

Zorael
February 14th, 2011, 12:21 AM
The best way to really try it out is to download a live image (of Kubuntu) and extract it onto an usb pendrive, then boot that. unetbootin (apt://unetbootin) is great for preparing such a pendrive.