PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Do you think that GNOME 3 will completely replace GNOME 2?

sirspazzolot
February 13th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Or would you have the option of a GNOME 2 session in addition to a GNOME 3 session? Do you think Ubuntu will to officially adopt GNOME 3 when it's released?

Copper Bezel
February 13th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Well, no, they're using Unity (which is just another shell for Gnome, with a very similar method to Gnome 3's) instead. Once Gnome 3 fully phases out Gnome 2, Unity will presumably be the only Gnome DE option in Ubuntu.

I mean, Gnome 3 isn't a fork. That's the direction the whole project is heading.

Frogs Hair
February 13th, 2011, 03:20 PM
The only thing that seems certain to me is a move away from the current version of Gnome as we know it . In 11.04 Unity will be default desktop , but many distros will still use the current Gnome desktop. Gnome 3 will be released when the developers think it is ready and will eventually replace the current version.

I will wait and see because when I started using Ubuntu , just under a year ago there was talk of 10.10
using Gnome 3 . Also at that time there was no mention of Libre Office , which is an example of how fast things can change.

tednix
February 13th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Pleas explain something to a noob.

Is Unity the same as Gnome 3? I've tried a 11.04 alpha and Unity will result in a reboot of my learning process. I've only been using Ubuntu seriously for a month.

Warpnow
February 13th, 2011, 04:32 PM
No, not the same. Gnome 3 is the new version of Gnome that's currently in development. It has a bunch of odd new features that could turn out to be either revolutionary or annoying, we'll see, such as Gnome-Shell.

Gnome 3 has had a big backlash against it. A good number of people don't like it. Gnome Shell especially. Unity is an Ubuntu custom interface designed originally for netbooks. It is based on Gnome 2 I believe.

Or you can just use XFCE like me and not have to deal with all these confusing things. :-p

sirspazzolot
February 13th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Derp. I forgot about Unity. Let's say when GNOME 3 is released, I choose to install it on a 10.10 installation. Would I be able to log in with a GNOME 3 and GNOME 2 session, or do you think 3 would overwrite 2?

tlcstat
February 13th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Greetings,

Unity is an Ubuntu custom interface designed originally for netbooks. It is based on Gnome 2 I believe.

I Just put Unity on my 15" Laptop so that I could get up to speed for an install on my Wife's new Toshiba Netbook.

I kind of liked it myself but I don't use Windows apps. My wife uses Quicken and a couple of other made for Windows specialty apps so for lack of a Wine menu in Unity I had to switch it to the Gnome Desktop which is close to perfect even on the netbook.

I'm somewhat new to Linux myself but I know enough about Linux users to say that they probably won't be happy with the absence of control in Unity that currently exists. "Trouble" is their middle name but "can't" just won't work.

Just flame me if I'm wrong.
tlcstat

kellemes
February 13th, 2011, 09:49 PM
or you can just use xfce like me and not have to deal with all these confusing things. :-p

+1
:popcorn: