PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Mac4lin

TimmyK.
February 13th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Hello. I am trying to make my desktop look like a Mac. I followed the instructions here (http://www.howtoforge.com/mac4lin_make_linux_look_like_a_mac). Here is exactly what I did:
1. Downloaded the Mac4lin package.
2. Extracted folder in my downloads.
3. Went to System > Preferences > Appearance.
4. Clicked install.
5. Installed Downloads > Mac4Lin_Install_v1.0 > Mac4Lin_Install_v1.0 >b GTK > Mac4Lin_Meta_v1.0.tar.gz.

However, when I do this, it doesn't recognize it, as you can see in the picture. Did I do something wrong when installing it? Thank you.

jetaddict
February 13th, 2011, 06:06 AM
I just installed this tonight also; works great. I downloaded the zip file and extracted it to my desktop. I ran the file titled install, and selected the option to open it in the terminal. From there it was a simple automated process; I selected "no" to both of the options, and everything loaded with no issues. Mac4Lin automatically installed and is available as a theme when I go into system preferences. Try doing it from the terminal; I think that would be a bit easier.

TimmyK.
February 13th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Thank you! I LOVE the Mac theme. Now, I am trying to get that row of icons on the bottom. How do I do this? Is everything there already installed if I've downloaded Mac4lin?

TimmyK.
February 13th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Now I need to get the Mac4Lin icon theme. Were is this?

jetaddict
February 13th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I think it includes the icons already, doesn't it? When I loaded mine, I automatically got the mail, settings, and a few other "Mac" icons. As for the dock on the bottom, I already had one installed prior to installing this theme, so I can't help you there.
Here's a screenshot of mine. Came out pretty cool!

Frogs Hair
February 13th, 2011, 05:19 PM
If not included you can find the icons here.
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Mac4Lin+Leopard+GTK+Icon+Theme?content=68413

jetaddict
February 13th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Also, you may have to go back to the terminal and re-install it to get the whole package up and running. I had to do this today on my girlfriend's system after I just installed Ubuntu on. At first, it was using all the older icons. There was an error message in the system theme properties saying that not all of the items would work properly because it was missing the gtk files. So I went back through the install process, and all of them loaded no problem.

TimmyK.
February 13th, 2011, 06:31 PM
So does anyone know how I could get the dock on? What version of Linux is that? And how does one change icons (e.i. the little logo in the top left corner) or colours in the theme?

Frogs Hair
February 13th, 2011, 08:51 PM
The dock is Awn or it is in the latest screen shot I found , it is in the software center . If it was installed with the theme it would be listed under Accessories on the menu.

kn0w-b1nary
February 13th, 2011, 09:01 PM
So does anyone know how I could get the dock on? What version of Linux is that? And how does one change icons (e.i. the little logo in the top left corner) or colours in the theme?

I'd recommend Docky, works great!

TimmyK.
February 13th, 2011, 10:46 PM
OK, I got docky. Works well! Only one problem: how do I get rid of docks? It was only after my programs would take up a tiny amount of the original size that I realized I had just created four of them.

TimmyK.
February 13th, 2011, 11:09 PM
OK, now this is getting onto Docky, so I'll start a new thread. Thanks guys; I've already had one person think that this really was a Mac!