PDA

View Full Version : An Idiot with a Question

Volrach
February 13th, 2011, 03:55 AM
So the other day a friend of mine would not shut up about how much better Linux is than Windows, and I tried Ubuntu via Wubi , liked it , and decided hey I should set this up dual boot.

End result? I ended up using the entire disk or whatever for Ubuntu and Windows Vista has been completely wiped.

Now .. I can't help but feel like a complete idiot and that my computer is now junk .. even the person who told me about Ubuntu Linux kept Windows (he never goes on it though) incase he ever needed it.

Looking for opinions .. all I do on my computer is play RuneScape (which i know works on this) and watch youtube (which works) and I write documents (which works i like that software)

How many people are running just Ubuntu?

(yes im stupid)

Bucky Ball
February 13th, 2011, 04:06 AM
My wife's computer is running just Ubuntu. It is a workhorse and she is happy as (her choice). Her mother also ditched Windows a couple of years ago and asked me to build her a machine with Ubuntu only. She's happy as. If you don't need Windows apps, why use it? I wouldn't. ;)

Foxheadz
February 13th, 2011, 04:06 AM
Lots of people. It's the third most used os after Windows and OS X. Odds are anything you want to do can be done with free software and any problems you have, someone probably has a solution. So even though it was by accident, Welcome to the world of ubuntu, linux, and FOSS (Free open source software). If you have any problems just post them on the forum, or you can pm me and i'll try my best to help.

bloodshot13
February 13th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Don't beat yourself up so much. I bought a dell desktop from a friend and I completely wiped out widows xp and use ubuntu exclusively. This is my first time with linux and it is definitely different. I'm not much of a computer guru but I'm trying to learn. If you don't do alot of hard core computing(video editing,compiling,ect.) I think you'll like it. It takes a little getting use to though. There are alot of great programs to use in linux that work well(vlc,totem,keepassx,hydrogen). Just hang in there. Good luck.

uRock
February 13th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Not a support question.

Moved to the Cafe.

Rubi1200
February 13th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Hi and welcome to the forums :-)

First, sorry to hear about your troubles. But, as you discovered, selecting the option to use the entire disk will do just that.

If you have the Vista installation CD, consider reinstalling and trying again if that is what you want.

If you are happy with Ubuntu and everything you need works, then you have a great opportunity to learn a new operating system.

How many people are running just Ubuntu?
Difficult to say really, but there are many on the forums who only use Ubuntu and/or other Linux versions.

dalekirkwood
February 23rd, 2011, 12:25 AM
It will give you a head ache but after a couple of months of using Ubuntu try a windows install and you will quickly realise how much you detest that colourful flag.

NightwishFan
February 23rd, 2011, 01:23 AM
I have been using solely Ubuntu since mid 2007. It just grew on me and I have no need for mainstream stuff. I prefer to have rights.

racie
February 23rd, 2011, 01:38 AM
Your computer isn't junk and you aren't an idiot. If it works for you (and it sounds like it does), then just go with it.

I exclusively use Ubuntu on my personal desktop, but my other family members use Windows.

marl30
February 23rd, 2011, 01:44 AM
I have been primarily using Ubuntu for almost a year now, and I am still loving it and have no regrets. And I am coming from Windows 7. So far I have been able to do most of what I need to do. I do have Windows (XP) in Virtualbox, just for two applications which I probably only use like twice or trice per month. I'm among the lucky ones who have gotten the Windows games I play to work using Wine, so I still don't need Windows for gaming.

After you have passed the learning curve, you will find Linux much easier to use than Windows. Especially the neat part of just popping open the Software Center when you need an app to perform a certain task rather than having to search the web.

Old *ix Geek
February 23rd, 2011, 01:53 AM
Looking for opinions .. all I do on my computer is play RuneScape (which i know works on this) and watch youtube (which works) and I write documents (which works i like that software)It sounds like you're doing everything you want to do...so where's the problem? :confused:

How many people are running just Ubuntu?Me. My whole household, actually. I wouldn't allow ANYTHING from Microsoft in this house, so, yeah, 100% Linux. :D

Giraffemonster
February 23rd, 2011, 01:57 AM
I have been primarily using Ubuntu for almost a year now, and I am still loving it and have no regrets. And I am coming from Windows 7. So far I have been able to do most of what I need to do. I do have Windows (XP) in Virtualbox, just for two applications which I probably only use like twice or trice per month. I'm among the lucky ones who have gotten the Windows games I play to work using Wine, so I still don't need Windows for gaming.

After you have passed the learning curve, you will find Linux much easier to use than Windows. Especially the neat part of just popping open the Software Center when you need an app to perform a certain task rather than having to search the web.

I agree. It may be a bit hard and frustrating at first, but once you get most of what you need configured the way you like, it all becomes a lot easier. Wine doesn't really like my setup, neither does The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. That game is so awesome, but the frame rate under wine is horrendous. If I were to choose one gaming corporation to permanently support Linux based operating systems, it would definitely be Bethesda.

Addressing the OP's post, I would have to say people who don't do much gaming or use very hardcoded Windows programs would use just Ubuntu. That's just a guess though. Most people who run dual-boot systems just need games. I use only Ubuntu, and a lot of others do as well.

You didn't list any problems though, so I guess you're going to be alright. Hope you enjoy Ubuntu and the support from it's communities.

I miss Morrowind. :(

Khakilang
February 23rd, 2011, 09:59 AM
My daughter's laptop switch to Ubuntu completely and she is happy with it. Me I dual boot and use Window for games only, everything else is Ubuntu.

ivanovnegro
February 23rd, 2011, 10:28 AM
Im another only Ubuntu user, when I installed first time Linux I wiped Windows totally without to think about it, in comparison to you it was intended.
Obviously I had to learn a new OS but it was easier as I thought and now I cannot imagine anymore to use Windows again and I never wanted to dual boot, 100% Linux.

Giant Speck
February 23rd, 2011, 11:00 AM
(yes im stupid)
First of all, no question is stupid. And asking questions doesn't make you stupid.

To answer your question, no. I use Windows 7, Ubuntu, and OS X side by side (by side). I have uses for all three of them, and often I'll jump from one to the other and use one exclusively for a few months at a time. For example, I've been using Windows 7 exclusively for about two months. Before that, I used Ubuntu exclusively for a month and before that I used OS X exclusively for three months.

There are things I like about all three operating systems, but there are also things that annoy me about all of them.

Regardless, you should be able to choose whichever operating system you want to use without worrying about how other people think. If you want to continue using Ubuntu, you should. If you decide that Ubuntu is not for you and you want to switch back to Windows, then you should. People can say all they want about your choice of operating system, but it's up to you to decide. If they don't like which one you picked, then tough tiddlywinks. You having a different opinion doesn't make you stupid.

nothingspecial
February 23rd, 2011, 11:26 AM
6 computers in this house all of them linux only.

Aslong as you don't want to use the very latest apple hardware, sat nav, most commercial games, some obscure bit of hardware or a lexmark printer, Ubuntu is all you need.

Bucky Ball
February 23rd, 2011, 01:03 PM
Interesting to hear everyone's thoughts, opinions and setups, but has anyone noticed the original OP posted only post #1 and has never returned? Guess they are either enjoying their Linux install and the learning curve or have disliked Ubuntu and are trying something else.

Something to ponder ... :-k

Giant Speck
February 23rd, 2011, 04:07 PM
Interesting to hear everyone's thoughts, opinions and setups, but has anyone noticed the original OP posted only post #1 and has never returned? Guess they are either enjoying their Linux install and the learning curve or have disliked Ubuntu and are trying something else.

Something to ponder ... :-k
Maybe he really did do something "stupid" and now he can't get his computer to boot! :lolflag:

Tristam Green
February 23rd, 2011, 04:35 PM
@OP: You're not stupid, nearly everybody does that at least once.

The only lesson you could take away from this is how imperative it is to make a backup of the system prior to making any massive system changes, such as installing a new operating system. Restoration media is key.

As for using only Ubuntu? i used to use Ubuntu heavily on my laptops until 2008, when my like for Ubuntu fell by the wayside. I use Fuduntu (www.fuduntu.org) now for my Linux needs, which are few aside from tinkering, and I use Windows XP or Windows 7 (7 on my netbook) for everything else.

Like Giant Speck said, don't let the opinions of others sway your use of an OS you like, ever. If you like Windows, use it. If you like Ubuntu or any *nix, go with it. If you like OSX, you're dead to me -- kidding, use it.

Best of luck.

HermanAB
February 23rd, 2011, 04:41 PM
Well, the only thing I used WinXP for was to run Quicktax and it ran in a virtual machine. Since I moved to the UAE, I don't need that anymore since there is no income tax here, so now I am Free.

So, if you need a Windows application and it won't work in Wine, install Virtualbox or VMware Player.