PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Possible to put Ubuntu on a Tegra-based Tablet?

ewangr
February 13th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Have been known for trying to push the envelope before (one of the more popular posts on my blog was to use coLinux to build a RAID of USB drives to work with Windows), but I usually like to stick to the "reasonably possible".

So, I have a Viewsonic G-Tablet - Tegra 2 based with a capacitive touchscreen (10 inches, 1024x600), that has an internal 16 GB, and I have a micro SD 16 GB card.

So I'm thinking a dual-core processor with over 10 GB of available space, I should be able to get Ubuntu to run on that, right?

Anyone who has tried this before and been successful? Alternately, any ideas on where to even start?

TIA

ewangr
February 16th, 2011, 04:18 AM
SO, more obviously impossible than I realized, or already being discussed in another thread, or... ?

clegends
February 16th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Not impossible, just difficult at the moment. The tegra developers website has a L4T project, where they have modified an older 9.04 image to work on tegra hardware. It's not a full ported image though, and while it has apt-get, everything might not work.

There are several Ubuntu ports for other arm builds however, as well as instructions for getting it installed. Tegra 250 chips seem to be the current standard for tablets, so I'm fairly sure there will be something soon. Try searching for "Ubuntu on Adam" in the xda forums, and you will find a similar project. Cheers.

ewangr
February 17th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Appreciate the pointers. I happen to have a Viewsonic G-Tablet, so I'm more than familiar with the XDA board, just didn't think to look under the Adam topics.

Thanks!

Leovi
February 17th, 2011, 09:47 AM
ewangr, if possible,please let me know.
I'm going to pull my trigger for a tablet right now,because it's so damn hot. Can't stand guys around all hold a tablet.
I also want to install ubuntu on the device, well, because the stability of the current android version.(I don't want to spent 800 bucks on Android 3.0), so just gonna pick up a 2.1 tablet and then reboot it. Ubuntu would be the first choice of course.I gonna pick one of these Android Tablet (http://www.nowsupplier.com/category/android-tablet-c-52/) on the site(got a phone there before,pretty good). So, if possible, that would be great. Anyway, I will try on my coming tablet. hmm, decent hardware would consider before pull the trigger... I will post a review of my tablet and then any process of the rebooting for ubuntu.

ewangr
February 17th, 2011, 05:19 PM
ewangr, if possible,please let me know.

Reading the various items linked above, for the most part these efforts are at the "might get it to boot, but not much else" stage. You also need to make sure your new tablet will be using a Tegra and not one of the older chips.

Android, especially since 2.2 came out isn't that bad, but there are a few things still missing that Ubuntu could give. We'll have to see how things go moving forward.

Leovi
February 18th, 2011, 02:40 AM
thx ewangr, appreciated update.
gonna try and hope everything would be right...