PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Home moved, next step install? Is this right to preserve my /home?

dBuster
February 12th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Okay, followed all the steps to move my home to its own partition. Now I am ready to take the plunge but my conscious got the better of me and thought to ask first.

sda3 is my /home partition which contains my home info I DO NOT want to lose.

sda5 is my current 9.04 install...

With the attached screen captures of 10.04.1 as I was about to install but got to the partition stage I got nervous. Do I have this right to install without wiping out the home partition??

ajgreeny
February 12th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Looks good to me, but I would still recommend you backup all your data first. It is not likely to go wrong, but if it should, you would really be kicking and screaming all the way to hell and back if your data was lost.

NEVER work on partitions without the safeguard of a good backup of important data.

dBuster
February 12th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Looks good to me, but I would still recommend you backup all your data first. It is not likely to go wrong, but if it should, you would really be kicking and screaming all the way to hell and back if your data was lost.

NEVER work on partitions without the safeguard of a good backup of important data.

Did a drive image as well as backed up the home to the NAS drive I have on the network!! Always wanting to keep that data safe!

Thanks for confirming for me. Wish me luck as soon as I get another chance to boot from the CD I will.

dBuster
February 13th, 2011, 08:12 PM
oh what a relief it is! To boot up after install and to see all my settings, to include the desktop settings and it all is there!

Sure there are some things I need to clean up such as the menu as some apps are not there anymore and maybe that is a good thing, cleaned up a little with the new clean install of 10.04.1!!!

YAY!!!

ajgreeny
February 14th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Great! I'm glad it worked OK for you. Can you now update your profile to show you are using 10.04 not 9.04. It can be very helpful when you post to know what we are dealing with.

grahammechanical
February 14th, 2011, 01:29 AM
It works fine, Does it not? Especially if you do not tick the format box. Install the applications that are missing and they will connect to the configuration files that are in the home folder on the /home partition. They are there but they are hidden.

Regards.

dBuster
February 14th, 2011, 04:49 AM
done updated signature

although I am fighting not having the human icons I had before as I do not like the shut down icon I have now and have no clue how to manually change it..

ajgreeny
February 14th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Can you also change your forum profile, ie beneath the Tux avatar you chose, where it still says 9.04.

dBuster
February 14th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Can you also change your forum profile, ie beneath the Tux avatar you chose, where it still says 9.04.

DOH Talk about being excited about it working and then moving on to get the little things cleaned up. I have changed, er, updated the version. Although I do still have a Jaunty install that I use... ):P