PDA

View Full Version : Great stuff for LINUX

siucdude
May 1st, 2006, 04:02 AM
oh man how happy i am at what Motorola is doing with linux check out this new cell phone they have. I have had this A780 and it was great but this takes it to next level.

http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/slim-motorola-a1200-coming-soon-144925.php

and the funny thing is that I read is that there are more and more phones with linux software to come.

tj

xmastree
May 1st, 2006, 04:58 AM
Erm, maybe I'm missing something, but where's the connection with linux, and why does that link go to a Sony camera? :confused:

Nice looker, :cool: but with no keypad you will have to use the touch screen for sending text messages. Ever tried that while moving, either in a car or just walking along? On my P900 it's impossible. :-k

nalmeth
May 1st, 2006, 05:04 AM
Yeah, what's the linux connection?
Are they using linux on the phone, or is it just supported to connect to a linux computer?

angkor
May 1st, 2006, 08:08 AM
Yeah, what's the linux connection?

These phones run Linux with a real 2.4 kernel! I have a Motorola A780 (an older version of the A1200) and it's a great gadget....With a little hacking here and there you can telnet to it, have Qonsole running. It's fun to see the standard linux filesys (/usr, /bin etc) on your cellphone.

briancurtin
May 1st, 2006, 07:41 PM
It's fun to see the standard linux filesys (/usr, /bin etc) on your cellphone.
yeah, i bet its a real blast...

Astinsan
May 1st, 2006, 08:00 PM
Linux it is pretty portable... But really whats the point of a terminal on a phone? :-k

angkor
May 1st, 2006, 08:58 PM
yeah, i bet its a real blast...

:rolleyes:

angkor
May 1st, 2006, 09:02 PM
Linux it is pretty portable... But really whats the point of a terminal on a phone? :-k

Well, it's a smart phone so it's actually just a pocket sized computer. With an open source kernel on it there's lots of stuff people can develop. Don't know if there's any point to it but it's fun to tinker with. :)

ComplexNumber
May 2nd, 2006, 12:17 AM
moto have disabled a lot on the phone with regards to linux. the a780 and e680 etc were the forerunners of the juix platform where java takes centre stage and 3rd aprty linux apps are a no-no. they don't want people hacking it too much because users installing skype and other applications isn't in the network's interest, so it isn't in moto's.

theox26
July 1st, 2007, 06:34 PM
Well I have this phone and LOVE it. Yeah it can't do everything linux can, but it is a phone, and therefor only has embedded linux, monte vista to be exact. If you want to see some of the awesome features and things people have already hacked for it, go to motorolafans.com (I have no affiliation, just a member).

A guy called yan0 has made a .pkg installer which has allowed to install a console and a program that unzips files ON THE PHONE. You can also get a devel package for it to compile your own command line apps for it. And as I hear, there will be an SDK released by the end of this year.

Sounds pretty good to me. This phone has everything I want and more. As for texting while driving, can't say I could do that safely with any phone. And being a new dad who kinda looks at things differently now, I'm not sure anyone can really do that safely with any phone.

Just my 2 cents.

neocortex
July 10th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Okay, I think it is a really nice smartphone, but how to do easy synchronization with the Ubunty? And directly, not by using some servers on the net ...

Best,
PM

Michl
September 26th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Okay, I think it is a really nice smartphone, but how to do easy synchronization with the Ubunty? And directly, not by using some servers on the net ...

Best,
PM

I like the phone, too, but I can't get it to synchronize. I'm also
having trouble using it as a USB modem in ubuntu. In Win2000
it's a breeze, but not in ubuntu. The Phone Tools are also only
in windoows. When I bought it I thought it would meld well
with my linux OS's but that's not the case.
Michl