PDA

View Full Version : No Desktop Panels or Icons

Hates_Gates
February 12th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Ok, I installed 10.10 remix on an Asus EEE900 last month. The laptop ran fine the first few days but after an update it would only boot to a state where only the background is showing. (i.e no panels, menus, or icons)I understand by reading the forums that I have either a corrupt install or I am out of disc space. This isn't my problem. My problem is that Ubuntu starts booting as soon as I turn on the machine and although I can see the bios F2 option (to change to booting from USB) the keypad isn't accepting the commands. It also will not let me use any F-keys to start a terminal. Does anyone know of any software that recover this install? I don't even get a login in screen to change the mode to recovery. Depending on how fast I hit the combo I can sometimes get a terminal open using ctrl-alt-F2 or bckspc but once opened I am not experienced enough how to command the interface to boot any programs from the usb drive. I would really appreciate it if someone could walk me through the commands to either clean up this install or to format the drive so I can start over. I am a complete noob so it will have to be in novice terms. Thanks