PDA

View Full Version : A little help with a bash script

CaptainMark
February 12th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Im just trying to improve my bash skills and Im playing around with scripts at the moment but ive come a bit stuck, what im making is a modest script that backs up the folders in home/mark/* to /media/passport/*, ive made an entry for each of the main folders so i can easily locate errors in copying, each one looks like this
echo 'Copying Music'
cp -ru ~/Music/* /media/passport/Music
echo 'Done' && aplay -q ~/Documents/sounds/zelda/stereo/emptytrash.wav
Which copies the folder and plays a quick noise to confirm, the thing is the downloads folder is often empty and that means i get error messages, which i want to work away from and have my own error handling deal with it.

The bit i need help with is constructing an if/else statement, im having trouble understanding the syntax with my limited porgramming knowledge. This is the general theory i need
if Downloads == empty
echo 'downloads empty'
else
copy downloads to passport
play confirm soundThis is the best i could come up with after some googling
echo 'Copying Downloads'
if [(ls -1R ~/Downloads | wc -l )-ge 2]; then
echo 'Download Folder Empty'
else
cp -ru ~/Downloads/* /media/passport/Downloads
fi I assumed this would work as in a terminal the command (ls -1R ~/Downloads | wc -l ) gives an output of 1 for an empty folder.
Any help would be much appreciated, oh and for the sake of learning, an explaination to any code would be even better :)

sisco311
February 12th, 2011, 11:44 AM
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ/004

EDIT:

EDIT2:
Or you can redirect cp's error message to /dev/null and print your own one:

cp -ru source dest 2> /dev/null || echo "error" >&2

Rany Albeg
February 13th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Hello.
First of all you missed the space after '[' and before ']'.
Second, I suggest you to use [[ instead of [ if you are writing for Bash.
No word splitting or glob expansion will be done for [[ which makes it less error prone and much easier to use.
With [[ you can also use the =~ operator to check for regular expressions, it also supports '<', '>', '&&', '||' operators and you can use '=~' for regular expression comparison.

Don't use ls to check whether a directory is empty.
Instead, use globs.
In your case use a basic * to assign PWD's entries into an array and check if the size of the array is not zero.

array=(*) # assign PWD's entries.
if (( ${#array[@]} )); then
# Code in case the directory is not emtpy
else
# Code in case the directory is emtpy
fi

Notice that I used (( and not [[ in this case and that is because I'm checking arithmetic values. the ${#array[@]} evaluates to the number of elements in the array, so I also recommend you to use (( when you use arithmetic and [[ otherwise.

You'll also want to use shopt with nullglob and dotglob options before the 'if' statment.
use
shopt -s dotglob nullglob to set them, and
shopt -u dotglob nullglob to unset after you are done.
nullglob - In case that the directory is emtpy, the glob * will be expanded to * which will make it fail. You don't want the array to contain a single *.
dotglob - If set, Bash includes filenames beginning with a . (dot) in the results of pathname expansion.

CaptainMark
February 13th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Wow, that seems complex, i appreciate the help. I managed to get this to work, its shorter so i understood it a lot more,
echo 'Copying Downloads'
if [ -a ~/Downloads/* ]; then
cp -ru ~/Downloads/* /media/passport/Downloads;
else
echo 'Downloads Folder Empty';
fi

Rany Albeg
February 13th, 2011, 11:24 PM
It is shorter but not necessarily better.
If you'll check ''man test'' you'll see:

EXPRESSION1 -a EXPRESSION2
both EXPRESSION1 and EXPRESSION2 are true

Your solution seems to work but it doesn't look good.
Maybe someone more experienced than me will also tell you why it is also bad and not just ugly.

I suggest you to use my solution since in my answer I'm relying on the knowledge of people that are far more experienced than me with the Bash shell.

Don't search for shorter ways to do stuff, search for the best way even if it is longer.

Have a nice day.

oldfred
February 14th, 2011, 01:18 AM
Most of us use rsync as it only copies new/changed files.

Bash script for backup with rsync
Originally Posted by MountainX View Post #20 also other backup apps
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=868244&highlight=backup

CaptainMark
February 14th, 2011, 06:57 PM
It works with -e or -a for this instance, i dont understand how this
${#array[@]} equates to the length of the array, would you mind explaining this,

Rany Albeg
February 14th, 2011, 11:03 PM
This is just a syntax.

echo "${array[@]}" will output all array elements properly quoted, and
echo "${#array[@]}" will output the number of elements.

You might want to check the difference between ${array[@]} and ${array }.