PDA

View Full Version : On screen keyboard on text box click

Huss
February 12th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Hi everyone,

I would like to have an option appear to open the on screen keyboard when I click in a text box.

My programming ability is pretty minimal, but with a bit of help and guidance I think it will be doable.

To start off with, can you give me a rough idea of what would need to be done to get this to work. Would it be at the individual application level or is there a system wide event listener for textbox clicks?
Also, would it be possible to transpose Android applications like the keyboard?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Huss

kerry_s
February 12th, 2011, 10:39 AM
matchbox-keyboard is the only 1 that does that, you need both packages, 1's a daemon it has to be running.

Huss
February 13th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks Kerry_s,

I will try it later today

Huss
February 14th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Hi Kerry_S

How do you get matchbox-keyboard to recognise textbox clicks?

Huss
March 1st, 2011, 03:23 AM
Hi Developers,

As I mentioned in the original post, I would like to develop better integration of on screen keyboards for tablet and touchscreen Ubuntu users.

I would like to be able to click any text box and either have an on screen keyboard open automatically or have an icon appear nearby to open a keyboard. Also, I would like to use a keyboard more like those developed for Android tablets. Current on screen keyboards do not quite do the job - small keys, not accessible to thumbs etc.

Let me know if there is a better place to post this development project idea.
Also, your advice would be appreciated.

RazTaz
February 17th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Hello. I have now a "convertible" - Lenovo Thinkpad 220t. I would very much appreciate this functionality (on screen keyboard triggered by cursor in a text-box) the same way it works in Android.

I really belive that this is a great handicap in using Ubuntu on a touchpad device.

Currently I use "onboard keyboard", which can be stored as in icon in tray or has also the option to have a floating icon on the desktop. However this implies 2 actions: clicking in the text box AND clicking on the Onboard icon.

Moreover, the problem is also at login, where you want the keyboard to be displayed OVER the login screen (and also on top of Dash).

Best regards,
Razvan