PDA

View Full Version : C++0x enum confusion

worksofcraft
February 11th, 2011, 11:59 PM
I'm trying to use to use the new C++ enum extensions to extend an existing enum class with more symbolic constants, but can't get it to compile with -std=c++0x compile switch :(
Keeping in mind that the extended enum will eventually be part of some other class or module, does anyone here know how the following should be done?

// g++ -std=c++0x enums.cpp
#include <cstdio>

int main() {
enum base_enum: char { eSOI = '\xD8' };

// extend the above list of codes with some more
enum derived_enum: base_enum { eDHT = '\xC4' };

return !printf("SOI=%X, DHT=%X\n", eSOI, eDHT);
}

The error I get is

$ g++ -std=c++0x enums.cpp
enums.cpp: In function ‘int main()’:
enums.cpp:8: error: underlying type ‘main()::base_enum’ of ‘main()::derived_enum’ must be an integral type

... but I thought base_enum IS an integral type :confused:

MadCow108
February 12th, 2011, 02:51 AM
the new enum class are not really classes just scoped strongly typed enums. there is no inheritance (at least I can't find any reference to it in the standard).

also you are using unscoped enums. scoped enums have the additional class tag:

enum class base_enum: char { eSOI = '\xD8' };

printf("SOI=%X\n", eSOI, eDHT); // error
printf("SOI=%X\n", base_enum::eSOI); // ok

worksofcraft
February 12th, 2011, 03:02 AM
the new enum class are not really classes just scoped strongly typed enums. there is no inheritance (at least I can't find any reference to it in the standard).

also you are using unscoped enums. This scoped enums have the additional class tag:

enum class base_enum: char { eSOI = '\xD8' };

printf("SOI=%X\n", eSOI, eDHT); // error
printf("SOI=%X\n", base_enum::eSOI); // ok

Oh... that's a shame :(
So it's no use for what I want then?

Mind you it does seem to let me inherit base_enum from char but not derived_enum from base_enum :confused: Another case of poorly thought out standard designed by committee IMO :P

MadCow108
February 12th, 2011, 03:10 AM
yes its very unfortunate syntax
the class does not mean class and the inheritance operator : does not mean inheritance ...
very confusing, but unavoidable when one wants to keep backward compatibility and not introduce new keywords.