PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video Card Suggestion

Cavillis
February 11th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I just built my i5 system yesterday, and I'm using it primarily to host servers (mumble, lamp, etc.) and play boxee, however I had no idea the pile of trouble the i5 video acceleration was. Ubuntu is SERIOUSLY lacking bulit in facilities to fix overscan! you would think there is an application where you can set the screen size just like inside boxee, but I digress.

I'm looking for a budget video card that must be able to play my blurays I ripped to mkv. I have no interest in gaming on this machine. I would expect full HD video can be done on a pretty cheap video card considering this has been done for several years.

which video card provides the best support for fixing overscan, nvidia or ati?

Am i correct in assuming cheap video cards will do HD video (like the GeForce 210)?

Keep in mind that any video card choice must be compatible with ubuntu for hardware accelerated video

Grenage
February 11th, 2011, 06:22 PM
The Nvidia 210 are good cards, and quite cheap. Avoid ATI like the plague, especially when wanting VDPAU.

Cavillis
February 11th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks! I looked up a review of the 210 and was about to buy it - but the review I was reading compared the 210 and 220. The 210 struggled and stuttered on 1080p when noise reduction was turned on, flawless when turned off. I decided to get the 220 so I'm not operating at the limits of the card :)

Grenage
February 11th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Well it's better to have more power and not need it, than to need it and not have it. I'm sure you'll be happy with it!

Cavillis
February 11th, 2011, 08:10 PM
I've changed my mind since my local frys is offering 210's for 10$ right now.

I was gonna try getting 2 of them and SLI but I read that SLI support is more trouble than its worth.

since the 210 is practically free i'll use it until I need more power and just drop the money for a better video card then instead of now

BicyclerBoy
February 11th, 2011, 10:06 PM
GT210 does not support SLI..

Why do you think these video cards are so cheap ?

IMO These GPUs are just a mistake..you are not saving money just wasting it..

Fix your over-scan by trying to setup the display correctly first..& don't use VGA into new DFP.
The nvidia-setting app has over-scan adjustments for old CRT users..

Cavillis
February 11th, 2011, 10:40 PM
can you elaborate on why its a waste of money?

They both play 1080p video well and thats all i need so i don't see the waste

BicyclerBoy
February 12th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Depends on your definition of play H264 HD1080 video well...
IMO the GT210 it is a waste of effort/time/money..

Most (all) HD broadcast material & bluray etc is 1080i or 720p.
For me, the VA 2x advanced de-interlacing is mandatory.

The other feature set C stuff like hqscaling denoise sharpen may well be compromised on the slow GT210 (not sure).
These features are 'required' for any DVD, SD & HD720 playback on a native 1080 display.

If you are happy with VLC full screen video playback then the GT210 may well be adequate for your needs.