PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Main Menu problem

gregelder
February 11th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I successfully installed 10.10 on an HP EliteBook 8440p laptop, but something seems to have gone awry. When I go to the main menu and pick anything in "Places", the system starts with Movie Player. That is unsuccessful, of course. How do I get it to open a file manager?
tia

ajgreeny
February 11th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Open up nautilus with command
nautilusright click a folder and open with >Other application >nautilus (or file manager, or however it is listed). Make sure "Remember this setting for ---" is selected first.

stefangarr
February 11th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I have a different problem with main menu. I have 64 bit 10.10 installed. When I go to System/preferences/main menu open it and try to check one of the unchecked menu items to enable it. I close the menu and the change doesn't "take"

Any ideas?

Thanks

stefangarr
Linux newbie

JOHNNYG713
February 11th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I have a different problem with main menu. I have 64 bit 10.10 installed. When I go to System/preferences/main menu open it and try to check one of the unchecked menu items to enable it. I close the menu and the change doesn't "take"

Any ideas?

Thanks

stefangarr
Linux newbie
Try logging out and back in ! Should show up then.

stefangarr
February 11th, 2011, 05:39 PM
ok, i tried logging out and back in..... no dice

any more ideas?

thanks

Stefan

ajgreeny
February 11th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Has the menu item you're trying to enable got anything in it?

For example if I try to enable the group Universal Access in the left pane, it will not stick, because there is nothing in the right pane under it. If I enable Orca Screenreader & Magnifier or another of the three available, the group will be enabled, otherwise it will not.

gregelder
February 11th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Open up nautilus with command
nautilusright click a folder and open with >Other application >nautilus (or file manager, or however it is listed). Make sure "Remember this setting for ---" is selected first.

Thanks, ajgreeny, that worked like a charm.
Greg