PDA

View Full Version : Advices for a programming padawan

pythoned
February 11th, 2011, 12:59 PM
First of all, printf("Hello World!"). I usually stay on #ubuntu-programming but decided to make a forum account because I have a issue I would like to discuss.
I know some basic C. My issue is that I don't understand pointers, memory allocation, structures like struct, tails, binary files, trees. I really don't get it and I would like a book or a link, anything that can help me in my path of learning C.
Every suggestion is more than welcome, a link, anything that can help me.

Simian Man
February 11th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Is there a particular reason you're learning C? If not, I'd look at you username for inspiration of what language to try :). Learning C as a first language is like giving an elementary-schooler "War and Peace" as their first book to read :).

pythoned
February 11th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I want to learn C because of the Uni course we have is related to C. I don't understand data structures like struct, articles, trees, tails, memory alocation, working with binary files and I really need a book or a link that talks about them in an acceptable manner for a beginner(I have some basic knowledge about programming and computers, enough to teach myself new things, so don't worry). I wanted to learn python too, that's where my username comes from, the wish of learning python sometime in the future, but right now I need to get myself fluent in C.

worksofcraft
February 11th, 2011, 06:06 PM
First of all, printf("Hello World!"). I usually stay on #ubuntu-programming but decided to make a forum account because I have a issue I would like to discuss.
I know some basic C. My issue is that I don't understand pointers, memory allocation, structures like struct, tails, binary files, trees. I really don't get it and I would like a book or a link, anything that can help me in my path of learning C.
Every suggestion is more than welcome, a link, anything that can help me.

I think C is fine to learn and sets a good foundation for many other programming languages. The original Kernhigan and Ritchie C text is perhaps a bit dated but still perfectly good to learn from and not a big fat heavy tome either.

Failing that you can type in "learn C programming" to Google it finds good links like: http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html#ctutorial

and of course there is always the sticky up there at the top of this forum ;)