PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New install on Dell D630

Ambrielle
February 11th, 2011, 11:20 AM
:confused: When trying to install Ubuntu on my laptop with a new hard drive, I can get through all the early set-up screen to the point where I complete the "Who are you?" screen. It copies a lot of files then display "Ready when you are"

OK, I'm ready now what do I do? The [Forward] button isn't available, only [Back] and no other apparent options are visible. How do I say I ready?

This is version 10.10 - 32-bit (or should I go to 64-bit?

grahammechanical
February 11th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I doubt very much if the installer of 64bit OS will be different from the installer of the 32bit OS. Both must have the same options.

What happens when you press Enter? Have you filled in all the required fields? Leave a required field empty and it is possible that the program may not give you a Forward button. I am just guessing. I am not about to run the installer just to see if I see what you are seeing, or not seeing in this case.

Regards.

Quackers
February 11th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Welcome to UF
Try using lower case letters for your username. Also a password must be entered and confirmed - an empty password field is not allowed.

Ambrielle
February 11th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Indeed the last reply was correct. Although it shows in the help screens from Ubunto.com you can have a mix of case in the user name - apparently that is not accurate. So I played a little and all UPPER CASE for user name did not work, it requires a user name to be all lower case. :D

Quackers
February 11th, 2011, 05:03 PM
It does. Enjoy your installation :-)