PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot upgrade from 10.04LTS to 10.10 - same error each time

jack_123
February 11th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Hi I tried to upgrade to 10.10 using update manager but it gave the error below each time i tried. Please help!
Thanks much in advance!
''''
Could not calculate the upgrade

An unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade:
E:Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

This can be caused by:
* Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu
* Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu
* Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu

If none of this applies, then please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the files in /var/log/dist-upgrade/ in the bug report.

sikander3786
February 11th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Welcome to the forums :-)

Go to System > Administration > Software Sources > Other Software Tab and disable all the testing PPAs.

Then from Applications > Accessories > Terminal:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Then either run this command or run update-manager.

sudo do-release-upgrade

Let us know how that goes.

jack_123
February 11th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Welcome to the forums :-)

Go to System > Administration > Software Sources > Other Software Tab and disable all the testing PPAs.

Then from Applications > Accessories > Terminal:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgradeThen either run this command or run update-manager.

sudo do-release-upgradeLet us know how that goes.

Thanks sikander3786 -- None of those commands worked. Even running those commands from terminal give out the same error. After trying multiple times, now the issue is that the moment i open the update-manager gui, it checks for updates, and then throws me the error I pasted above. (Previously it used to show up only when I clicked on the actual 10.10 upgrade button on the update-manager).

None of the commands would work...I tried the apt-get dist-upgrade as well.

Any way to fix this problem so that I can upgrade fine?

jack_123
February 11th, 2011, 10:00 PM
ANyone around who knows how to fix this problem? I wwould want to avoid reinstall here.

Patthebrat
February 12th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Having the same problem.

cosaki
March 3rd, 2011, 08:16 PM
I am having the same problem too.

I've also tried installing with a 10.10 live USB, but I can't get the partitioning to work. I currently have a 80 gb partition for windows 7, and a 60 gb partition for Ubuntu 10.04. I could only get it to add a second Ubuntu partition for the new release, or write over the entire drive. Even when I click to use the entire partition, it shows that the size will be 250 gb (when it should be closer to 60). Never had any problems with it before.

sikander3786
March 3rd, 2011, 09:19 PM
Just found the solution and posted here. I hope it will work for you.

http://ubuntu4beginners.blogspot.com/2011/03/unresolvable-problem-occurred-while.html

cosaki
March 3rd, 2011, 09:25 PM
Thanks! I'll give this a shot when I get home.