PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Mysterious DVD problems

HIPS
February 10th, 2011, 10:08 PM
This problem came to light when I thought about ripping down some of the family's DVD movies to our media player. Some works perfectly, while some refuses to be ripped. I've tried DVD:: rip, K9Copy, OGMRip and Acidrip. The problem feels really strange. When I run for instance OGMRip and the program begins with backing up the DVD. This backup comes to about half the movie, then it stops. K9Copy crashes instead.

I then started to experiment and play these movies on the computer (via Totem) and skip forward chapter by chapter – or as the last test, just let them play. The same phenomenon occurs - up to about half the movie it's perfectly fine, then everything freezes, and I get this message “An Error occurred – Could not read from resource”

Hope someone has some good ideas. To my knowledge, I have installed all that is needed (like libdvdread4 and libdvdcss2, and also Medibuntu). I have also tried VLC, but it also refuses to play more than half the movie.

Could it be a region settings problem? As far as I know my DVD player has no region.

robert shearer
February 11th, 2011, 01:50 AM
you mention "half' several times.
Does your dvd drive read dual layer discs ?

I do have a few discs that halt when attempting to access the second layer.

This is so occasional that I blame the disc.
Were it happening every time I would investigate the player.

HIPS
February 11th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Hmm, I must admit that I took dual layer readability for granted (it is a HP Pavillion about two years old). I must check this out.

During this time I have never stumbled upon a movie that wont play – until now. Still some of my movies both plays perfectly and are easy to rip and convert, while others just refuse to cooperate.

Of course it could be some kind of hardware failure. I’ll try to borrow an external DVD drive to see if there is a difference.

robert shearer
February 11th, 2011, 09:22 AM
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Hmm, I must admit that I took dual layer readability for granted (it is a HP Pavillion about two years old).

Only two years, bound to be dual layer...unless it's a lappy..?

In a terminal run

sudo lshw
(that's lower case LSHW) to list your hardware and past back here inside code tags (just highlight the text then click on the # symbol at the top of the forum reply window you are in)

HIPS
February 11th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Ok, here is what came out of that (only the part concerning the DVD player:

*-cdrom
description: DVD-RAM writer
product: CDDVDW TS-H653Q
vendor: TSSTcorp
physical id: 1
bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/cdrom
logical name: /dev/cdrw
logical name: /dev/dvd
logical name: /dev/dvdrw
logical name: /dev/scd0
logical name: /dev/sr0
version: 0303
capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodiscI don't understand all of it, but now I can tell for sure that something is not right with my player. I just borrowed an external player, and my test movie runs fine. I will try some more with the external drive, but it looks like the built in one is the source of my problems.

HIPS
February 12th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I have done some more testing, and it seems clear that the problem was caused by bad hardware. I guess it was just bad luck that the player broke down on me just when I was supposed to backup our movies.

Thanks a lot robert shearer for bringing the hardware issue to my notice. I was so convinced it must have to do with a codec or some other software issue, that I didn't even consider hardware problems.