PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gimp for Ubuntu

pakenhaj
February 10th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Hi all,

Apologies for being one of these new clueless users... I am trying to download any recent, good version of Gimp for Unbuntu and cannot find any free versions online that work (the ones I have tried, download then don't seem to work). I had a version on my computer, but I believe my friend deleted it several months back. I know absolutely zero about coding and was given this computer by my cousin who built it from salvaged parts (so I have no disc with Gimp or a saved back up) . With all this in mind, is it at all possible to find a free version online?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

kd5mkv
February 10th, 2011, 10:03 PM
If you go Synaptic or terminal $ sudo apt-get install Gimp
Under synaptic, search for gimp and install.

pakenhaj
February 10th, 2011, 10:20 PM
thank you, it worked a treat.

Rocket2DMn
February 11th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Just a bit of background information - Ubuntu used to ship with GIMP. They stopped in Ubuntu 10.04.

In the future, you should always check the Ubuntu repositories for software before looking elsewhere - the repos are very large and is the safest and most reliable source of compatible software. There are multiple options for searching including Software Center (Applications->Ubuntu Software Center) and Synaptic (System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager), as well as multiple command line options if you're interested.

Welcome to Ubuntu!