PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptop doesn't boot Ubuntu 10.10 CD

Mikeyspike
February 10th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Hey guys, I'm currently having problems trying to install Ubuntu on my laptop.

I have burnt off a CD that contains the latest Ubuntu 10.10 iso using the exact way the website tells me to. However, I can't boot from that CD. I can, however, boot from other CD's. For example i ran my Gparted Live CD to create a partition on my hard drive about an hour ago and that worked fine.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Anyone give me some guidence?:D

dabl
February 10th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Assuming you verified the md5 sum on the downloaded ISO image, there are really only two possibilities, since we know your computer and optical drive work correctly:

1. Bad blank media
2. Bad burn

Did you use the lowest speed available for your burning software?

kleskjr
February 10th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Recently I found that creating a liveCD depends very much on the quality of the CD. I burned a few of them without any success until I changed to other CDs.

airplanesimen
February 10th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Recently I found that creating a liveCD depends very much on the quality of the CD. I burned a few of them without any success until I changed to other CDs.
I agrees with you there, because i got the same problem. The cd quality depends on succsess:P try other cd's, and you are close to "victory"

Mikeyspike
February 10th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Right, Yeah, I burnt off 4 CD's so far. However, I did use the same CD (from the same spindle) for my GParted CD so I didn't think there would really be a problem.

and each time I used the slowest speed everytime.

I'm getting a few CD's from my friend tomorrow so I'll try again then.

Thanks for the information guys :D

ajgreeny
February 10th, 2011, 10:09 PM
If you hit any key as the CD boots to the first screen you will come to a menu where you can check the CD media; always worth doing on self burned CDs.

xtremethegreat1
February 10th, 2011, 10:22 PM
What message is it giving? Try pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 and see what's written. And also check the output at Ctrl+Alt+F7 and Ctrl+Alt+F8. If it is an ACPI problem, it should be clear there.