PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "Home folder" opens in media player instead of nautilus

sbos
February 10th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Hello. I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 x64. Suddenly I found that if I click on "Home folder" in the "Places" (top menu) then this folder is being opened in deadbeaf instead of nautilus. I wonder why. How to fix that?

Copper Bezel
February 10th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Open a Nautilus window, right click any folder, select "open with other application," select "use a custom command," type nautilus, and be sure to check "Remember this application."

sbos
February 11th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Thank you, that works!

Jesuswashomeless
October 8th, 2011, 03:15 AM
Same problem. I have tried this fix but don't see any option to remember. Please advise.

Copper Bezel
October 8th, 2011, 03:56 AM
Yeah, that was a fidgety solution anyway. We can fix the problem more directly - open the file ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list, find the entry for inode/directory, and remove whatever application is listed before Nautilus in that line.

Jesuswashomeless
October 12th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Not sure how to open that file. Sorry I am rally new thanks.

meatytaco
October 13th, 2011, 02:58 AM
I believe you can open it with gedit or nano. Probably will have to "sudo gedit" or "sudo nano" to be able to overwrite the file. IMHO, gedit is much more user friendly :) hope this helps out

Copper Bezel
October 13th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Ooh - no, you wouldn't want to use sudo with this. Just

gedit ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

meatytaco
October 13th, 2011, 02:42 PM
You wouldn't -have- to use sudo or you -shouldn't- use sudo? If youre not supposed to, why not? Just curious, cause if I'm editing any kind of file I sudo before. Usually just in case it doesn't want me to write it

Copper Bezel
October 13th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Yeah, don't throw sudo around all willy-nilly. It's only needed for system files, and if you use it to edit config files in your home directory, you can change their permissions so that the apps in question can't edit their own preferences anymore.

Also, if you're using a graphical app like gedit, launch it with gksu, rather than sudo, for similar reasons. Otherwise, it can have a similar effect on gedit's own settings.

Edit: At Krytarik's suggestion, I'm adding this link (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo) on further possible consequences of using sudo with graphical apps. I'd oversimplified a bit, and it's not always problematic, but it can sometimes bork your account entirely, so be sure to use gksu.

meatytaco
October 14th, 2011, 12:12 AM
I see I see. Good to know actually. :)

Copper Bezel
October 14th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Yeah, you have to be careful working with elevated permissions. I oversimplified it a bit, and at the suggestion of another user, Krytarik, check out this link (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo) - using sudo in place of gksu can actually have worse consequences, so don't do it! = )

meatytaco
October 14th, 2011, 02:00 AM
Alrighty, I'll check that out.

meatytaco
October 14th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Wow... okay. lol... so in short, anything that is graphical, use gksudo, anything that is handled in the terminal use sudo. Scary thing is, this is the first I've actually heard of the gksudo command... although I've only been using Ubuntu for around a month. I used to use slackware quite a few years ago, maybe it wasn't a necessity then? I dunno lol.

Copper Bezel
October 14th, 2011, 02:24 AM
Yeah, privilege elevation differs between distros, and they all have slightly different policies.

meatytaco
October 14th, 2011, 02:41 AM
So to the OP, if you do need elevated privileges to save the file, use gksudo ;)

mc4man
October 14th, 2011, 05:18 AM
No need for gksudo to edit that file, as mentioned in post 6 is proper

If you're on lucid you may want to keep in mind that in 10.04.2 a SRU patch to nautilus was applied that shouldn't have been. Haven't checked to see if it was reverted in 10.04.3

It wouldn't affect how you fix this though would prevent adding anything additional to the context menu on folders