PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.10 won't start up anymore please help

Mgllam1991
February 10th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Hey guys,
So this is my first time posting on these forums so please bear with my noobishness. I've recently finished building my custom pc And to save money on the os I decided to go with ubuntu 10.10. I ordered the cd from the website and installed it all fine and dandy. It had been working fine until this morning when I go to turn on my pc I get this screen which says to choose an os and I'm not completely surprised by this screen since I've seen it before but when I choose any of the os I get a bunch text that I don't know how to interpret. To be more specific when I turn on my computer it takes me to this screen that says GNU GRUB version 1.98+20100804-5ubuntu3 then I get 6 options 2 of them are memtests and 4 of them ubuntu Linux genetics pad either way none of them work not even in safemode now when I click on the first option I get a bunch of #'s and some other gibberish and then At the end it says (initramfs) and it will let me type stuff after that. So yeah huge problem cause nothing will start and I can't get any work done. I still have the cd but it won't boot up from the cd. Please help. And also inwouldnt mind a command that can reformat the hardrive or some other stuff. Some specs of my computer is: AMD athlon x2 triple core 3.2 ghz, 4 gigs ram, Samsung f4 320gigs, graphics integrated with motherboard I can't remember the name but the motherboard is a biostar a880g+ and ubuntu is the only os on the system. And thanks in advance for any help or comments and excuse any misspellings but I'm typing All this on my slow iPhone 3G

Mgllam1991
February 10th, 2011, 06:16 PM
One other thing I forgot to mention was that I was never able to install the motherboards bios screen so basically on boot up it is impossible for me to enter the bios

Mgllam1991
February 10th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Please if anyone can help me I will appreciate it I really need this fixed and I've googled every single option but to no a avail

3Miro
February 10th, 2011, 08:44 PM
If you cannot boot from the CD and/or enter the BIOS of your motherboard, you have a hardware issue. At this point, pretty much all help that we can give would involve the liveCD.

If you could boot from a live CD before, but not anymore, then either the CD got damaged or your hardware.

Mgllam1991
February 10th, 2011, 09:24 PM
If you cannot boot from the CD and/or enter the BIOS of your motherboard, you have a hardware issue. At this point, pretty much all help that we can give would involve the liveCD.

If you could boot from a live CD before, but not anymore, then either the CD got damaged or your hardware.So the cd that ubuntu sent me is not a live cd?

marin123
February 10th, 2011, 09:42 PM
its a live cd. every linux install cd is a livecd. you just need to boot that again, save all your data on external hdd and reinstall ubuntu.