PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu netbook 10.10 cant load desktop gui

kimirai_89
February 10th, 2011, 03:46 PM
hi,

Im a ubuntu newbie, i recently installed ubuntu 10.10 netbook edition on my hp mini netbook.

i really dun like the gui.

I've tried to switch it to the desktop edition from the login page... still no change...

im stuck with the UNE gui..

anyone have a solution???

thanks..

Krytarik
February 10th, 2011, 05:49 PM
What happens when you choose "Desktop Edition" in the session options at the bottom *after* entering your username and then login?

kimirai_89
February 11th, 2011, 04:07 AM
i have 5 options to choose for at login page

1. Recovery Console
2. Ubuntu Desktop Edition
3. Ubuntu Desktop Edition (Safe Mode)
4. Ubuntu Netbook Edition
5. User Defined Session

when i select option 1, it takes me to the recovery console. Option 2 - 5 still brings me back to ubuntu netbook edition.

meaning that if during the logon, i select ubuntu desktop edition, the desktop will still load into ubuntu netbook edition gui...

Krytarik
February 11th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Try this:

Log into "Ubuntu Desktop Edition", then check if there are panels now. Whereas the "Netbook Edition" doesn't have panels, right?

If that's the case, then check in "System -> Preferences -> Startup Applications" if "Maximus Window Management" and "Netbook Launcher" are in there and enabled. If so, disable those and re-login.

d123
February 16th, 2011, 01:33 AM
What happens when you choose "Desktop Edition" in the session options at the bottom *after* entering your username and then login?

thank you, I'm still a (long term) newbie, and always seem to get stuck on something. Just added ubuntu back to my netbook and hated the dumbed down netbook desktop.

Much nicer with standard desktop :D

kimirai_89
February 18th, 2011, 04:37 AM
thx so much...

i read so many different solutions on the net including the ones mentioned above....

non worked.... so i just reformated my hard disk and installed the desktop version...