PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question about default file browser behaviour

emonti
February 10th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Hi,

I am on Lucid and have a gripe. Perhaps there is a good reason for this or perhaps it is a matter of configuration but I really can't see why this should be considered a feature rather than a bug.

The problem: I can't delete files within the file browser. There is no menu option to do this. Of course I can delete files from the command prompt but it seems the default behaviour is to treat the user as though he can't be trusted to browse the file system in case he deletes something which he "shouldn't".

Please can someone inform me as to the reason for this?

3Miro
February 10th, 2011, 02:00 PM
The delete key sends files to the trash bin and shift-delete removes files permanently. Those should be available in a right-click menu as well as Edit menu.

Can you be more specific on what you are talking about.

3Miro
February 10th, 2011, 02:29 PM
If there is no "delete", there should be a "move to trash", which is the same thing.

MartyBuntu
February 10th, 2011, 02:56 PM
You can add a DELETE option in Nautilus by going to:

edit > Preferences > Behaviour tab > "include a Delete command that bypasses Trash"

emonti
February 10th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Hi

Thank-you people.

I see that in the right click-menu there is a 'move to deleted items folder' option. There is no 'delete' option so that's where the problem was.

Thanks again ;-)

3Miro
February 10th, 2011, 04:33 PM
If you don't have any other questions, please mark this as "solved".

Krytarik
February 10th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Hi

Thank-you people.

I see that in the right click-menu there is a 'move to deleted items folder' option. There is no 'delete' option so that's where the problem was.

Thanks again ;-)
I'm wondering what file browser you are using, those term is neither used by Nautilus, nor by Thunar, maybe KDE's Dolphin or such? This shows, how important it is to be more specific in the first place. ;-)