PDA

View Full Version : KDE is cool!

Caligula
April 30th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Yeah, I know, I'll say it abut every new thing I try...
the previous times I tried KDE I didn't use it long enough to see it's whole power.
It's unbelievable!

Sure, it can get frustrating to have so many things configurable,but hay! you don't have to change anything...

The thing I personally like most about KDE is konqueror. I like the way I can do everything from it, on one tab browsing the internet, on the other my folders, on the other reading a PDF Ebook, and so on...

I like the way everything is integrated together, as one big application...

I love it!

ComplexNumber
April 30th, 2006, 08:38 PM
is this your first time using KDE?

nalmeth
April 30th, 2006, 08:40 PM
yeah, KDE is cool!
and konqueror is one of it's greatest assets

Caligula
April 30th, 2006, 08:45 PM
is this your first time using KDE?

no...
I've used it before, but as I've said, I haven't used it for enough time to realise what it has in it...

Monster_user
April 30th, 2006, 09:01 PM
I though KDE was "Kool", as in the "Kool Desktop Enviroment"???...

I like the cleaner feel of Gnome. Most of the times I've used KDE, it has felt cluttered, and complicated. I don't like Keramik either. As long as the KDE enviroment has the QtCurve widget/style set, and the Knifty window decoration, I can get by. I actually do like Kwin though.

The only thing I missed in Gnome, was menu shadows. Gotta have those shadows. I prefer KWin over Metacity for that reason alone. Now with Compiz on Dapper, I've got that, and more!
I also missed the transparent window dragging, from the NVidia drivers in Windows...

ComplexNumber
April 30th, 2006, 09:06 PM
I though KDE was "Kool", as in the "Kool Desktop Enviroment"???... in the very beginning, it was called the Kool Desktop Environment. it was in reference to CDE(ie Cool Desktop Environment). luckily, someone within enough sense managed to point out the stupidity of the idea of calling it the Kool Desktop Environment....and the "Kool" part was swiftly dropped.
i hate the word "cool" anyway because it sounds so damn pretentious! when people say "hey. thats cool".

Caligula
when you've used it for long enough, you will get to see the ugly spots sure enough.

-Rick-
April 30th, 2006, 09:30 PM
in the very beginning, it was called the Kool Desktop Environment. it was in reference to CDE(ie Cool Desktop Environment). luckily, someone within enough sense managed to point out the stupidity of the idea of calling it the Kool Desktop Environment....and the "Kool" part was swiftly dropped.
i hate the word "cool" anyway because it sounds so damn pretentious! when people say "hey. thats cool".

Caligula
when you've used it for long enough, you will get to see the ugly spots sure enough.
hehe thats funny ;)

CDE = Common Desktop Environment.
KDE = K Desktop Environment

But KDE rocks indeed, so many cool and handy features :)

Tedd
April 30th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I don't like KDE (at all) but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Caligula
April 30th, 2006, 09:46 PM

Don't worry, I DO see the bad parts, it's not perfect, but it's still great!

GeneralZod
April 30th, 2006, 09:48 PM

Perhaps he's seen the "ugly spots" and decided that the good points outweigh the bad.

GoldBuggie
May 1st, 2006, 02:02 AM
I totally agree that KDE is kool. It provides a good looking desktop with really nice integrated features for both work and home usage. Glad to hear that you like it to.

fuscia
May 1st, 2006, 02:40 AM
i've always thought of kde as being like fake breasts: sure, they're fake, but they're still breasts.

drizek
May 1st, 2006, 06:43 AM
and windows is like manboobs

MartinJ
May 1st, 2006, 10:41 PM
So, in 13 short posts we've gone from KDE is Cool to manboobs.

Very impressive!:D And a bit scary too.

GeneralZod
May 1st, 2006, 10:43 PM
So, in 13 short posts we've gone from KDE is Cool to manboobs.

Very impressive!:D And a bit scary too.

What, have you never played Six Degrees of Manboobs before? ;)

K.Mandla
May 1st, 2006, 10:51 PM
I had a bad experience with KDE about five years ago and so I'm afraid it's pretty far down on my list. But if you dig it, that's cool. I'm all about Xubuntu now. :mrgreen:

drizek
May 2nd, 2006, 12:36 AM
I had a bad experience with KDE about five years ago and so I'm afraid it's pretty far down on my list. But if you dig it, that's cool. I'm all about Xubuntu now. :mrgreen:

5 years ago? you should try it again, its not hard. Just do "apt-get install kubuntu-desktop".

Ive only been using linux ofr a couple years and even in that time kde has improved a lot from version 3.2 to 3.5. Id imagine that 5 years ago you were still using kde 2.x.