PDA

View Full Version : compiz broke again

sevenenemy
February 9th, 2011, 11:46 PM
not sure if its an update that broke it would like peoples feedback on that to see if thats it... i was changing things around in compiz but from past experience i dont think anything i changed could cause this crash. the fusion icon wont load and nothing compiz related will load. im trying to remember the name of the package i downloaded to make a bunch of themes work right, 'ubuntulooks' was missing and i tried to install that and it threw me a bone and told me what to apt-get, but now i remember thats what broke compiz. i am trying right now to see if i can fix it by changing to a different theme....but i cant seem to do that. if i remember right i installed or tried to install 'gtk2-engines-ubuntulooks' and it told me it was obsoleted and 'human-themes' replaced it, which i now have installed and my question now is does anyone know if 'human-themes' package conflicts with compiz or have any knowledge of other possible conflicts i may have overlooked relating to this topic also please bare in mind that i am running ultimate edition 2.8 tweaked all to hell with ubuntu studio and medibuntu and other various repos but its never crashed til now and its just compiz

JOHNNYG713
February 10th, 2011, 12:06 AM
You might want to ask about this at http://ultimateedition.info/ and http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/ Since you are running Ultimate Edition ! :guitar:

sevenenemy
February 10th, 2011, 03:55 AM
not sure if its an update that broke it would like peoples feedback on that to see if thats it... i was changing things around in compiz but from past experience i dont think anything i changed could cause this crash. the fusion icon wont load and nothing compiz related will load. im trying to remember the name of the package i downloaded to make a bunch of themes work right, 'ubuntulooks' was missing and i tried to install that and it threw me a bone and told me what to apt-get, but now i remember thats what broke compiz. i am trying right now to see if i can fix it by changing to a different theme....but i cant seem to do that. if i remember right i installed or tried to install 'gtk2-engines-ubuntulooks' and it told me it was obsoleted and 'human-themes' replaced it, which i now have installed and my question now is does anyone know if 'human-themes' package conflicts with compiz or have any knowledge of other possible conflicts i may have overlooked relating to this topic also please bare in mind that i am running ultimate edition 2.8 tweaked all to hell with ubuntu studio and medibuntu and other various repos but its never crashed til now and its just compiz

overdrank
February 10th, 2011, 04:21 AM
Hi and please do not create multiple threads on the same issue. Threads merged :)

sevenenemy
February 10th, 2011, 01:26 PM
sorry it didnt show up in my threads list for a few minutes and i thought it got deleted due to swearing in the thread. the ultimate edition forum is kinda stale with very little feedback and ultimate edition is just maverick with extra repos, its not a different os.

sevenenemy
February 10th, 2011, 11:56 PM
so i put this on the ue forums already but its gonna take awhile for it to be handled anybody got any ideas

sevenenemy
February 25th, 2011, 03:10 PM
i am getting this error from ubuntu tweak which seems to be the only one i can find at all from compiz because i cant even get anything related to compiz to open or be interactive in any way

Distribution: Ubuntu 10.10 maverick
Application: Ubuntu Tweak 0.5.10
Desktop: gnome

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/ubuntutweak/mainwindow.py", line 502, in setup_notebook
page = module()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/ubuntutweak/modules/compiz.py", line 325, in __init__
self.create_interface()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/ubuntutweak/modules/compiz.py", line 343, in create_interface
hbox.pack_start(self.create_edge_setting(), True, False, 0)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/ubuntutweak/modules/compiz.py", line 475, in create_edge_setting
self.TopLeft = self.create_edge_combo_box("TopLeft")
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/ubuntutweak/modules/compiz.py", line 447, in create_edge_combo_box
if CompizPlugin.is_available(k, v):
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/ubuntutweak/modules/compiz.py", line 127, in is_available
getattr(cls.context.Plugins[name], target).has_key(setting)
File "compizconfig.pyx", line 945, in compizconfig.Plugin.Display.__get__
File "compizconfig.pyx", line 766, in compizconfig.Plugin.Update
KeyError: 'active_plugins'

thinking it was a human-theme compatibility error i removed that and no luck i know a little as3 and can see that the error involves creating the edges for combo boxes and that it conflicts with active-plugins or something along those lines but where to go from here is beyond me

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

thanks

sevenenemy
February 25th, 2011, 03:40 PM
ok so another quick update

i removed all the compiz related packages and then reinstalled human-themes. then i re installed all the compiz packages. now i can access and set options for compiz and the fusion icon loads again and things look hopeful, but it looks like this version of compiz is different from my last as it has no sphere or cylinder views and my add helper is gone from the accessibility options.

any ideas?

things are lookin up in NH

sevenenemy
February 25th, 2011, 04:04 PM
and the package from the first post is human-theme not themes