PDA

View Full Version : Why is Eclipse so freaking slow?!

Mr. Matt
February 9th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I recently got a new laptop - Asus G73JW. This thing is fast and has 8 GB of RAM.

So why does it feel 5x slower running Eclipse than on my previous desktop? It also freezes a lot. Eclipse takes forever to do some things like searching and validating. Is there anything I can do to increase the speed? My eclipse.ini is exactly the same as on my old desktop. I have tried increasing the memory sizes a bit but no difference.

BTW: I have installed Sun Java and made it the default and am running on Ubuntu 10.10

schmendrick
February 9th, 2011, 07:00 PM
i have experienced that too.

see if eclipse is using openjdk. if it does, set java to use oracles version.
then check again to make sure it REALLY doesnt use it.

an eclipse using openjdk can be very slow and very unstable (at least it was in ubuntu versions 1,5 years ago).

i have made it my habit to uninstall the openjdk and installing the oracle version as soon as i do anything with java applications on linux, i fell too often into that openjdk pitfall.

juancarlospaco
February 9th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Why do you use Eclipse ?

Simian Man
February 9th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Why do you use Eclipse ?

Why do you bother posting things like this?

juancarlospaco
February 9th, 2011, 07:36 PM
To try to solve the problem

Mr. Matt
February 9th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I use it for PHP development so I have the PDT version installed.

How can I check if Eclipse is using the OpenJDK version? I have set the default Java version to sun so shouldn't it be using that then?

I will try removing openjdk anyway.

Queue29
February 10th, 2011, 03:18 AM
To try to solve the problem

How? By starting yet another omfgg use teh emaks!!1 thread?

Eclipse is an industrial strength IDE. Perhaps the OP is using it because it's the right tool for his job.

fct
February 10th, 2011, 02:50 PM
How can I check if Eclipse is using the OpenJDK version? I have set the default Java version to sun so shouldn't it be using that then?
Window -> Preferences -> Java -> Installed JREs

Mr. Matt
February 10th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Window -> Preferences -> Java -> Installed JREs

Thanks. It is definitely using the Sun version now. I have noticed Eclipse being much better this past day and hasn't been a problem. I will keep an eye on it though.

rob1101
February 10th, 2011, 06:07 PM
How? By starting yet another omfgg use teh emaks!!1 thread?

I think it is a fair question. He just asked why. Eclipse is great so is Emacs, no doubt about that. However the OP my not be aware of his alternatives which he/she might prefer or it could be a better tool for the job depending on whatever he/she is doing.

Eclipse is an industrial strength IDE. Perhaps the OP is using it because it's the right tool for his job.

Perhaps, but how will we know if no one ask?

Simian Man
February 10th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I think it is a fair question. He just asked why. Eclipse is great so is Emacs, no doubt about that. However the OP my not be aware of his alternatives which he/she might prefer or it could be a better tool for the job depending on whatever he/she is doing.

So if someone asks about a tool, they should be told of all the other tools for that task? OK, in every General Help thread I'll ask people why they aren't just using Windows :).

It was a dumb flamebait response and you know it!

rob1101
February 10th, 2011, 07:11 PM
So if someone asks about a tool, they should be told of all the other tools for that task? OK, in every General Help thread I'll ask people why they aren't just using Windows :).

It was a dumb flamebait response and you know it!

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. From my point of view I saw someone ask a question then get flamed. I still think it is valid question the OP could have very well been using an extension that is not fully developed or one that effects the performance of eclipse. If that was the case then yes they should be told the other tools of the task.

Your analogy is not quite right. It would be more akin to someone asking "what do you use Ubuntu for?", when they make no specification about what they are doing?, which in some cases Windows could be a better tool.

Simian Man
February 10th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. From my point of view I saw someone ask a question then get flamed. I still think it is valid question the OP could have very well been using an extension that is not fully developed or one that effects the performance of eclipse. If that was the case then yes they should be told the other tools of the task.
The OP said Eclipse used to be fast on their previous computer, so unless they totally changed the way they use it at the same time they upgraded, I don't think that's the case. Plus the Eclipse hater is a known troll :).

Your analogy is not quite right. It would be more akin to someone asking "what do you use Ubuntu for?", when they make no specification about what they are doing?, which in some cases Windows could be a better tool.
Fair enough, but I know that wasn't the poster's thought process.

juancarlospaco
February 11th, 2011, 04:49 AM
lol, is interesting to see the VaporPosting going on here...
:)

vanbeast
October 28th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Hi! I found the solution for Eclipse+openJDK here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/freecol/+bug/499156 Post #4 I added "-Dsun.java2d.pmoffscreen=false" (without quotes) to my eclipse.ini. It helped for Freecol also. The question is what this means? And why it helped? Does anyone know?