PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't see my drive when on Ubuntu

danishkadah
February 9th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I have XP on my C drive, and installed Ubuntu on D drive, now when I use Ubuntu my drive D is invisible, other 3 drives (C, E, F) are visible. When I use XP all 4 drives available include the D.

Does it mean we cannot see / use the drive on which we install Ubuntu, for data and applications?

Danishkadah

dino99
February 9th, 2011, 02:44 PM
welcome,

nautilus is the file manager in ubuntu, but you have some others like: mountmanager and disk-utility

usefull page to learn about:
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/index.html

.... and the links below

grahammechanical
February 9th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Go to Places. Select Home folder. In the window that opens look closely at the panel on the left. Do you see File System? That is the drive that you installed Ubuntu on.

I have my home folder on its own partition but I do not see the drive that I installed Ubuntu on. Just File system. It is the same thing. Perhaps you have noticed that Linux does not label drives as letters? Linux uses a different philosophy to Microsoft.

Regards.

With Linux, Data goes in Home Folder. Did you notice that it has your user name on it when you open it. Other users, if you set others up as users, will have their own Home Folder. The data of different users is kept separate. Programs go into File System. If you open the Home folder and select View and then show Hidden Files you will also see folders relating to programs. These are configuration files connected with the user.