PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] How do I make the "desktop folder" larger?

AmpersUK
February 9th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I am using Kubuntu 10.10 although I will probably revert to Ubuntu when 11.04 arrives as I can't get my head around so many things, and it does crash from time to time. The real reason is I work with photos a lot and the icons won't show me the picture. But I will come back and try again in a year or so as, on the whole, I do like what it is about.

I am trying to increase the size of the desktop folder but cannot see any way to do this.

Any ideas?

ankspo71
February 9th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Hi,

I am trying to increase the size of the desktop folder but cannot see any way to do this.

I think you are asking about resizing the folder view widget... Right click on the desktop and click on Unlock Widgets. Now hover over your desktop's folder view widget and you will see a small menu pop up on the side of it.

Inside that menu is a little box (on top) with the two tiny arrows inside it that allows you to resize the folder view widget by dragging the little box with your mouse. When you are done, lock the widgets by right clicking on the desktop again.

The KDE (Kubuntu) desktop is capable of drawing icons across the entire desktop too, just like Gnome (Ubuntu) desktop does. But do this you will need to switch from KDE's "Desktop" layout to the "Folder View" layout. If you want to try this, right click on the desktop and click on unlock widgets again, then right click on the desktop again and click on Desktop Settings. When the desktop settings window opens, go to the view category on the left, then change "Layout:" from 'Desktop' to 'Folder View' using the dropdown menu. Now click apply, then Ok. If you like what you see you can close the folder view widget that covers the desktop. The right click on your desktop to lock the widgets again.

Hope this helps.

AmpersUK
February 9th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Hi,

The KDE (Kubuntu) desktop is capable of drawing icons across the entire desktop too, just like Gnome (Ubuntu) desktop does. But do this you will need to switch from KDE's "Desktop" layout to the "Folder View" layout. If you want to try this, right click on the desktop and click on unlock widgets again, then right click on the desktop again and click on Desktop Settings. When the desktop settings window opens, go to the view category on the left, then change "Layout:" from 'Desktop' to 'Folder View' using the dropdown menu. Now click apply, then Ok. If you like what you see you can close the folder view widget that covers the desktop. The right click on your desktop to lock the widgets again.

Hope this helps.

Absolutely, this does it for me. I publish a community newspaper and keep everything on desktop until the end of the month, and then zip it all up and start again.