PDA

View Full Version : Reading repository source code and related questions

Cypher1101
February 9th, 2011, 08:26 AM
I've been reading through the source code packages available through apt for various programs, sometimes because I'd like to mod them here and there, but mostly just to learn more from programs I really like.

One of the problems I constantly run into is that I've never really had to use more than one language per solution, and I've definitely never had to program anything that needed to use more than maybe 3 source files tops. So, when I'm trying to read through a project that's written in roughly 70% c with the rest written in scripting languages and spans maybe 8+ source files I find myself getting lost.

I had thought it might nice if I could follow the code instruction by instruction, but I'm not really sure how to do that in this scenario. Since I don't have any experience coding complex programs written in multiple languages or other tools, I'm not sure how to debug them - which is effectively what I think I'd like to do.

slavik
February 9th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I've been reading through the source code packages available through apt for various programs, sometimes because I'd like to mod them here and there, but mostly just to learn more from programs I really like.

One of the problems I constantly run into is that I've never really had to use more than one language per solution, and I've definitely never had to program anything that needed to use more than maybe 3 source files tops. So, when I'm trying to read through a project that's written in roughly 70% c with the rest written in scripting languages and spans maybe 8+ source files I find myself getting lost.

I had thought it might nice if I could follow the code instruction by instruction, but I'm not really sure how to do that in this scenario. Since I don't have any experience coding complex programs written in multiple languages or other tools, I'm not sure how to debug them - which is effectively what I think I'd like to do.
consider joining the irc channel of the project and asking questions