PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] default menu/panel reverts to gray & mouse reverts 2 default

sevenenemy
February 9th, 2011, 02:44 AM
ubuntu studio version of ultimate edition distro comes with all the crazy compiz stuff right off the bat. standard maverick distro base just a whole lotta repos and custom themes and other nifty things, if you got an extra dvd-r/w burn yourself a copy or make a usb and check it out its sick. this error also happened when i first started out with maverick so it could be happening due to hardware complications. compiz fusion icon wont open and panel/menus revert to ugly gray and i cant get it all to come back unless i goto system>>>preferences>>>apearance and then i can get it to reload. any ideas?

sevenenemy
February 9th, 2011, 03:02 AM
in addition icons revert to default as well

Copper Bezel
February 9th, 2011, 05:00 AM
This is coming up in every other thread these days - it affects Gnome Ubuntu distros after 10.04, but with unpredictable frequency. We've been seeing it a lot with netbooks, but it really seems quite random who gets it, how often....

The going fix is to add "gnome-settings-daemon" to your startup applications. It worked for me, but it hasn't worked for everyone.

To try it, next time you boot into default settings, run

gnome-settings-daemon && killall nautilus

It should fix everything immediately. This daemon is also launched (if it isn't running) by Appearance Preferences, so you've effectively been doing this. Restarting Nautilus is necessary because your desktop is rendered by Nautilus and won't update with everything else.

sevenenemy
February 9th, 2011, 11:24 AM
yup its the gnome-settings-daemon that seems to fix this how do i make it permanent and load at boot?

Copper Bezel
February 9th, 2011, 03:27 PM
In the main gnome menu, go to Preferences, then Startup Applications.

sevenenemy
February 9th, 2011, 05:30 PM
so i got that all set up nice and easy, do i need to just killall nautilus after every boot? that would grind my gears. and while it did fix the icons/menus/panels all of compiz will not start load run however you wanna say it.