PDA

View Full Version : Acer vista netbook and migrating to Ubuntu 10.10

hugha
February 8th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I purchased an Acer netbook last year. It has vista OS and is a real "dog" for performance.

I have booted using Ubuntu 10.10 from a USB thumb drive. If I want to replace the vista OS with the Ubuntu, will that be accomplished by installing it when given the option to boot from the USB drive or install it.

I am hoping that we will see a more responsive system with Ubuntu Netbook variation (faster boot, operation, etc...and less blue screen issues)

All we will be doing with it is email, WiFi web browsing, and maybe a WiFi netflix movie occasionally.

As it is with Vista it loads very slowly and is not very responsive to use. Any other options

gordintoronto
February 8th, 2011, 10:01 PM
You can choose "install" right away, or "try Ubuntu" and then run "install."

I suggest checking the wireless before you install Ubuntu. It is possible that you will need to use the Windows driver to make it work, so don't just blow away Windows. If it were me, I would copy the entire hard drive (except the Windows swap file) to another computer or to an external hard drive before installing.

There is also some debate about what version of Ubuntu to run: the netbook remix, the desktop edition, or Lubuntu, which will certainly run faster. If it were me, I would install Lubuntu, then install the Google Chrome browser. (I have not actually done that, but I think Chrome will work under Lubuntu.)

hugha
February 10th, 2011, 03:34 AM
I completed the install today. Stand alone Ubuntu 10.10 netbook. Smooth as glass. Wireless connection - no problems. Much improved over the Acer Vista installation.

Wesley Dawson
February 10th, 2011, 03:58 AM
Well first off, I sure hope you dual booted your system because netflicks does not work on a linux operating system. And second I myself use (am currently using) an acer aspire netbook. I have run both ubuntu10.10 and the netbook remix edition and came to the conclusion that 10.10 is better. Simply put, the netbook version limits the amount of customisation that one can do. but that's the price you pay for convenience I suppose. I hope this helped, let me know if theres anything else i can do