PDA

View Full Version : uTouch Application Development, where to start?

Garske
February 8th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I am looking for information on how to develop a multi-touch application using utouch.

I guess I am looking for what language to use, and maybe a sample application.

If this is not the right place to ask, please direct me to the correct source.

Thanks!

bregma
February 9th, 2011, 08:30 PM
The programming API for uTouch gestures is GEIS. The utouch-geis project on launchpad (https://launchpad.net/utouch-geis) has seom demo code called "geistest" that is an example of programming with that API, and documentation on the forthcoming GEIS v2 (http://people.canonical.com/~stephenwebb/geis-v2/) are available.

If you want to deal with just touch, that interface is still in flux.

Garske
February 9th, 2011, 08:41 PM
This was exactly what I was looking for... Thanks!

NoBugs!
July 31st, 2012, 06:40 AM
Those links aren't working anymore :(
Is there any information on how to enable the smooth-scrolling in a pyGTK app?

I noticed most apps don't have pixel-smooth scrolling (though in Nautilus it works great). Is there an option I need to set to enable it everywhere?

bregma
July 31st, 2012, 07:16 AM
The project name changed in launchpad. Try here (http://launchpad.net/geis).

There are python bindings available for the geis library.

Smooth scrolling is not yet available in GTK (they're reinevnting their own gesture recognition library of course).

NoBugs!
July 31st, 2012, 10:47 PM
Thanks, I found the Python geis module and installed it (apt-get install python-utouch-geis), but I don't see any obvious way to attach it to a scrollview or webview to enable pixel scrolling:

>>> import geis
>>> print geis.__doc__
Python bindings for the GEIS gesture recognition interface.

>>> print dir(geis)
['Event', 'Filter', 'GEIS_ATTR_TYPE_BOOLEAN', 'GEIS_ATTR_TYPE_FLOAT', 'GEIS_ATTR_TYPE_INTEGER', 'GEIS_ATTR_TYPE_POINTER', 'GEIS_ATTR_TYPE_STRING', 'GEIS_CLASS_ATTRIBUTE_ID', 'GEIS_CLASS_ATTRIBUTE_NAME', 'GEIS_CONFIGURATION_FD', 'GEIS_CONFIG_UTOUCH_MAX_EVENTS', 'GEIS_DEVICE_ATTRIBUTE_DIRECT_TOUCH', 'GEIS_DEVICE_ATTRIBUTE_ID', 'GEIS_DEVICE_ATTRIBUTE_INDEPENDENT_TOUCH', 'GEIS_DEVICE_ATTRIBUTE_NAME', 'GEIS_DEVICE_ATTRIBUTE_TOUCHES', 'GEIS_EVENT_ATTRIBUTE_CLASS', 'GEIS_EVENT_ATTRIBUTE_DEVICE', 'GEIS_EVENT_ATTRIBUTE_GROUPSET', 'GEIS_EVENT_ATTRIBUTE_TOUCHSET', 'GEIS_EVENT_CLASS_AVAILABLE', 'GEIS_EVENT_CLASS_CHANGED', 'GEIS_EVENT_CLASS_UNAVAILABLE', 'GEIS_EVENT_DEVICE_AVAILABLE', 'GEIS_EVENT_DEVICE_UNAVAILABLE', 'GEIS_EVENT_ERROR', 'GEIS_EVENT_GESTURE_BEGIN', 'GEIS_EVENT_GESTURE_END', 'GEIS_EVENT_GESTURE_UPDATE', 'GEIS_EVENT_INIT_COMPLETE', 'GEIS_EVENT_USER_DEFINED', 'GEIS_FILTER_CLASS', 'GEIS_FILTER_DEVICE', 'GEIS_FILTER_OP_EQ', 'GEIS_FILTER_OP_GE', 'GEIS_FILTER_OP_GT', 'GEIS_FILTER_OP_LE', 'GEIS_FILTER_OP_LT', 'GEIS_FILTER_OP_NE', 'GEIS_FILTER_REGION', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_ANGLE', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_ANGLE_DELTA', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_ANGULAR_VELOCITY', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_BOUNDINGBOX_X1', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_BOUNDINGBOX_X2', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_BOUNDINGBOX_Y1', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_BOUNDINGBOX_Y2', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_CHILD_WINDOW_ID', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_DELTA_X', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_DELTA_Y', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_DEVICE_ID', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_EVENT_WINDOW_ID', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_FOCUS_X', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_FOCUS_Y', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_GESTURE_NAME', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_POSITION_X', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_POSITION_Y', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_RADIAL_VELOCITY', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_RADIUS', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_RADIUS_DELTA', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_ROOT_WINDOW_ID', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_TAP_TIME', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_TIMESTAMP', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_TOUCHES', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_TOUCH_0_ID', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_TOUCH_0_X', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_TOUCH_0_Y', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_TOUCH_1_ID', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_TOUCH_1_X', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_TOUCH_1_Y', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_TOUCH_2_ID', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_TOUCH_2_X', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_TOUCH_2_Y', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_TOUCH_3_ID', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_TOUCH_3_X', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_TOUCH_3_Y', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_TOUCH_4_ID', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_TOUCH_4_X', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_TOUCH_4_Y', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_VELOCITY_X', 'GEIS_GESTURE_ATTRIBUTE_VELOCITY_Y', 'GEIS_INIT_SERVICE_PROVIDER', 'GEIS_INIT_SYNCHRONOUS_START', 'GEIS_INIT_TRACK_DEVICES', 'GEIS_INIT_TRACK_GESTURE_CLASSES', 'GEIS_INIT_UTOUCH_DBUS_BACKEND', 'GEIS_INIT_UTOUCH_GRAIL_BACKEND', 'GEIS_INIT_UTOUCH_MOCK_BACKEND', 'GEIS_INIT_UTOUCH_XCB_BACKEND', 'GEIS_REGION_ATTRIBUTE_WINDOWID', 'GEIS_REGION_X11_ROOT', 'GEIS_REGION_X11_WINDOWID', 'GEIS_STATUS_BAD_ARGUMENT', 'GEIS_STATUS_CONTINUE', 'GEIS_STATUS_EMPTY', 'GEIS_STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED', 'GEIS_STATUS_SUCCESS', 'GEIS_STATUS_UNKNOWN_ERROR', 'GEIS_TOUCH_ATTRIBUTE_ID', 'GEIS_TOUCH_ATTRIBUTE_X', 'GEIS_TOUCH_ATTRIBUTE_Y', 'Geis', 'NoMoreEvents', 'Subscription', '__all__', '__builtins__', '__doc__', '__file__', '__name__', '__package__', '__path__', 'geis_v2']
>>>