PDA

View Full Version : Install appears stuck @ who are you? screen

xenophrenia
February 8th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Okay - I'm quite new to Ubuntu - I've played with it a couple of times from a LiveCD but have never fully installed it. I am in the process of converting my sisters HP Mini 101 from XP to Ubuntu for hard drive space reasons. I am installing from a USB - and everything seemed to progressing until I came to the Who are you? screen ...

Name - check
Compter name - check
Username - check

the back button is clickable - forward button not - progress bar says "Ready when you are" and an arrow. If I click the arrow it goes to a list that is past the bottom of the window so I cannot see it's contents ... progress bar has not progressed for @ least a half an hour ...

So ... not sure where to go from here - being a Windows person tried "Ctrl-Alt-Del" ... nothing ... ;-) ...

Would really like some guidance on either how to start over - can I just shut it down and try again? ... let me know what information you might need besides it being an HP Mini 101

Thanks

Xenophrenia

Quackers
February 8th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Welcome to UF.
This problem is usually caused by starting the username with a capital letter. Capitals are not allowed there.
Another cause can be an empty password field. A password must be entered and confirmed.

Anoroc
February 8th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks Quackers - being new to Ubuntu as well, it was the capital letter that stopped me. I did two installations on my sons netbooks, but obviously used all small letters during their install.

Quackers
February 8th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Glad to help :-)
A better warning than just not giving a green tick next to the username field would be better perhaps.