PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can not install Win XP Pro SP2

KrawieC
February 7th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Hey

I would like to install Windows XP Pro SP2, but after the booting and line " Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration..." noting happened. I thought that CD could be broken, but I've tried to install Win by VirtualBox, and it works.
Do you have any idea what i have to do?

Regards

ppv
February 7th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Do you have Ubuntu already installed?

It is usually simpler to install windows first and then install Ubuntu after so. It will pick up your existing operating systems and configure the bootloader to provide with choices at startup.

KrawieC
February 7th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Yes I have. Also I have configured separated partition for boot. So you propose to formate disk and then try to install?

Rubi1200
February 7th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I suggest you make backups of all important data before continuing.

Also, please post the output of the following command from the terminal on Ubuntu:

sudo parted -l

(lowercase L not 1)

Thanks.

KrawieC
February 7th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Model: ATA ST3160212ACE (scsi)
Dysk /dev/sda: 160GB
Rozmiar sektora (logiczny/fizyczny): 512B/512B
Tablica partycji: msdos

Numer Początek Koniec Rozmiar Typ System plików Flaga
1 32,3kB 82,3MB 82,2MB primary ext3 ładowalna
3 82,3MB 14,0GB 14,0GB primary ntfs
2 14,0GB 160GB 146GB extended lba
5 14,0GB 148GB 134GB logical ntfs ładowalna
6 148GB 159GB 11,2GB logical ext3
7 159GB 160GB 543MB logical linux-swap(v1)

ppv
February 7th, 2011, 08:47 PM
If your Ubuntu is a fresh install or you are ok with reinstalling it, then you might want to do the following. (These steps will wipe your entire disk so backup the data that you want)

- Backup all data.
- Delete all existing partitions. To do this you can use a live CD of gparted or even an ubuntu live cd.
- Boot your computer with windows xp's cd.
- When it comes to the partitioning just create one single partition for windows xp of the desired size and let the remaining space be as is.
- Install windows xp on the new partition
- Using ubuntu's cd install ubuntu. Choose the options of using the remaining free space for partitions and install Ubuntu side-by-side with another operating system when asked.

This way you will have a dual boot system with grub bootloader and options to choose an OS at boot.

Rubi1200
February 7th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Did you create the 14GB partition to install Windows and create the NTFS file-system with GParted?

I have seen where Windows does not like it when the file-system is created by Linux tools.

Therefore, try this first (after backing up as ppv wisely suggested); go back to that partition and mark it as unallocated (delete it and leave it as free space), then try the Windows disk again and point it to that partition when installing.