PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Basic File/HD management issue

mcarrara
February 7th, 2011, 05:17 PM
OK this should be simple, but I don't know where to look. My server has two Hard drives. On one I have the system root (/) mounted. on the other I have a folder /backups mounted. The first hard drive is full. I need to moves some directories to the other hard drive. How do I do that? (I don't want them to be sub directories of /backups).

Mark

vanadium
February 7th, 2011, 05:58 PM
One way is to partition the drive with backups and mount these partitions to some of the linux system directories.

For several linux system folders, symlinking these to a directory on your backup partition would also work.

trundlenut
February 7th, 2011, 06:37 PM
What do you have on the root drive which has taken up all the space?

Both of my servers use a lot less than 10Gb for the root drive. I have separate partitions for data and backups.

mcarrara
February 7th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I wish I knew. With Windows I know what the different folder contain and what I can and can not delete. While I have been using Ubuntu for a few years I still don't have that knowledge. My fault I know, I wish I could go through the drive and remove extra crap.

Mark

trundlenut
February 8th, 2011, 01:34 PM
How much disc space are we talking about. You could have a problem with has cuased a log file to become huge.

Assuming your using the server version of Unbuntu and you access to a machine running the desktop version you could use the tool for looking at discspace to find out what's hogging all the space. Sorry I can't remember what the program is called, I have only windows machines to hand at the mo.

LightningCrash
February 9th, 2011, 12:01 AM
cd /
du -x -m --max-depth=2|sort -n

This will tell you the disk usage of your root disk, summarized to two folders deep, in MB, and sorted.

LightningCrash
February 9th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Assuming your using the server version of Unbuntu and you access to a machine running the desktop version you could use the tool for looking at discspace to find out what's hogging all the space. Sorry I can't remember what the program is called, I have only windows machines to hand at the mo.

Baobab

Under Applications->Accessories->Disk Usage Analyzer

oldfred
February 9th, 2011, 12:14 AM
A few more commands to try.

Partition sizes:
df -Th | sort

#check for large files:
sudo du -h --max-depth=1 / | grep '[0-9]G\>' # folders larger than 1GB
sudo find / -name '*' -size +1G # files larger than 1GB
dpkg-query -Wf '${Installed-Size}\t${Package}\n' | sort -n
gksudo nautilus /root/.local/share/Trash/files # Be sure to enable viewing of hidden files.

HouseKeeping:
sudo apt-get update #resync package index
sudo apt-get upgrade #newest versions of all packages, update must be run first
sudo apt-get autoremove #removes depenancies no longer needed
# removes .deb
sudo apt-get autoclean # only removes files that cannot be downloaded anymore (obsolete)
Sometimes this does more?
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade #updates dependancies

How To: Disk Full? - Check Your Trash
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=898573

HOWTO: Remove Older Kernels via GUI Tweak
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1587462

trundlenut
February 9th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Baobab

Under Applications->Accessories->Disk Usage Analyzer

That's it!

Thanks...

mcarrara
February 10th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I found out that there was 90gb of mail. I thought I had mail turned off, but I guess processes still were emailing me and I never checked email on the server so it just piled up. That's why my 100gb system drive was full. Thanks for the help.

Mark