PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cant see lvm partitions on non lvm hard disk & permission reqd

beopen
February 7th, 2011, 05:05 PM
i have two qs.
hard disk 2 installed ubuntu 10.04 [ for backup] 500gb
partition is 1 boot partition and balance [root/swap/home] is in lvm

hard disk 1 [winxp + same ubuntu ver above] non-lvm partitions. [ 160gb]

just installed today on hdd1 the desktop user live cd

.QS.1 Now post installation i am not able to see my home folder[ inside lvm] of hdd2 from hdd1. Thus my whole purpose of backup looks failed now. all i can see from hdd1 is the /boot partition of hdd2.

From hdd2 i can see the following partitions of hdd1 [ winxp, boot,root and home] non lvm hdd.

Thus if for some use i need to acess the lvm home partition of hdd2 from non-lvm hdd1 i wont be able to do the same.

Pls suggest how to do the same.

2. The second qs is when i try to write anything from hdd2 to hdd1 home folder say save a simple text file. I find the system doesnt allow me to do the same. It gives some message that u dont have access to write to that folder. This is despite the fact that the drive of hdd1 is allowed to be mounted. In short no permission. So what to do. This issue reduces the flexibility of moving data from one to another hdd.
There is also no option to change the permissions for that folder. All options are greyed out.
So my requirement is easily able to save any file between both the hard drives without any problems. Sort of seamless work.

Pls help me how to resolve both these points.