PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Complete lockdown during usb boot for install

kanifeli
February 7th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I was helping a friend who wanted to install Ubuntu on his notebook (no cd drive available) using the USB. I followed the instruction on the main site on how to create the USB and all that. The first time it ran and got to the install menu and i chose installation with updates and the other check box. when i clicked start it just stayed there doing nothing. after 10 mins of it being stuck there we restarted the computer to try again but it froze completely while loading. among the viewable messages i see a failure to mount any drives message and a request for a trace. after that it hangs and the only way to do anything is to remove the battery from the PC because not even the power button works.

I don't have the full specs but i know it had 2 gigs of ram and a Intel atom of about 1.65 ghz. it came with win 7 starter which was what we were trying to remove from the PC.

on windows we saw a SYSTEM partition of 100 mbs but we cannot delete it or format it. this may be the temp partition for the installation but i cannot touch it to restart the installation from scratch. Anyone know of a way to get past this to get Ubuntu installed?