PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Looking for a well supported MP3 Player in Ubuntu

hoffman462
February 6th, 2011, 03:22 PM
hi - I currently have a non-supported mp3 player (one which requires silly amounts of hoops to use and integrte).

Is there such a thing as a well supported mp3 player that I can purchase and use with ubuntu?

thanks for any opinions or if you can point me to some reading material.

hansdown
February 6th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Hi hoffman462.

I use an 8 gig sony walkman.

It mounts through the file browser, so you can play, drag and drop music,

BbUiDgZ
February 6th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I use my android device,
works like any other usb drive

hoffman462
February 17th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Hi hoffman462.

I use an 8 gig sony walkman.

It mounts through the file browser, so you can play, drag and drop music,

This is fantastic!
Thanks alot.

cascade9
February 17th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Only some of the sony walkman players work with linux distros.

If would be safer to get a fully supported player from a company that is a bit more linux friendly..Sandisc sansa or cowon are well worth looking at.

peculiar penguin
February 17th, 2011, 07:06 PM
SanDisk's Sansa Clip+.

Small, light, supports MP3/Ogg/FLAC, works as a USB mass storage device (when set to "MSC" mode, which should be the first thing you do after buying one), has a MicroSDHC card slot for expanding the internal storage space or to abuse the player as a card reader (shows up as a separate drive). Also has a stable Rockbox port available if that's your thing.

Only negatives are no AAC support in the stock firmware and the fixed, non-replaceable battery (unless you know how to use a soldering iron).

Chronon
February 17th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Any player that supports MSC mode will operate as a UMS device and can be mounted normally.

pafufta503
February 17th, 2011, 11:20 PM
i use a sony walkman. i went with this brand because it has one very very important feature, i am able to browse the folder/file structure from the mp3 player (unlike ipod, which forces you to use ID3 sorting). i plug it into my laptop, and it mounts like any USB storage device, from there i can simply drag and drop files/folders onto my player.

there is only one small issue, i cannot create or use playlists with the device as sony uses some weird and cryptic software to create playlists. what i do to avoid this is rename files with a numbered scheme to achieve a playlist by placing the files into one folder. name the folder "playlist" and voila!