PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.04

DMGrier
February 6th, 2011, 01:54 PM
So I am still getting use to Ubuntu as far as when the new OS comes out. I am use to when Windows did a release every 3-5 years. So last year I install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and already 10.10 is out. My understanding though 10.10 is not a LTS so should I upgrade? Or will mine automatically upgrade to that version? Is there any real new features to 10.10 that I am missing out on? I can't do anything for another month and a half for the fact I am on deployment in the US Navy but I am highly thinking about moving up. Thoughts or any info is appreciated?

johncc
February 6th, 2011, 04:06 PM
So I am still getting use to Ubuntu as far as when the new OS comes out. I am use to when Windows did a release every 3-5 years. So last year I install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and already 10.10 is out. My understanding though 10.10 is not a LTS so should I upgrade? Or will mine automatically upgrade to that version? Is there any real new features to 10.10 that I am missing out on? I can't do anything for another month and a half for the fact I am on deployment in the US Navy but I am highly thinking about moving up. Thoughts or any info is appreciated?

10.04 will not automatically "upgrade itself" to 10.10. If you are mostly using the computer for routine desktop things like internet browsing, email, word processing, you are probably "safer" staying with 10.04 because it will be more stable in principle.

Cheers,
John

Rubi1200
February 6th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums DMGrier :-)

I agree with johncc that you should stick with 10.04.

There is little advantage in upgrading to 10.10 unless you absolutely must have the latest and greatest.

Moreover, the differences between the 2 versions are fairly negligible; a few GUI changes, some packages removed or updated etc.

10.04 is supported with updates for the Desktop version until April 2013.

ebasa
February 6th, 2011, 04:56 PM
What they said! The constant need to upgrade is highly overrated.