PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Dual-Boot Issues after Windows Upgrade

Kchymet
February 6th, 2011, 06:51 AM
So I decided to switch from Vista to Windows 7. Before, with Vista, I would boot then select either my Ubuntu 10.10 installation or Vista (loader) from the grub menu, but now that I've upgraded to 7, the grub menu no longer appears and I'm just led into Windows. This i obviously a problem. I've read some other posts, but they all want me to boot from an Ubuntu install disk then use the "sudo grub" command, for which I receive a "command not found" error. When I was attempting this I ran "sudo fdisk -l" and found that Ubuntu 10.10 was on /dev/sda5, Win7 was on /dev/sda1, and my swap partition was on /dev/sda3. I just don't know what to do at this point lol.

wilee-nilee
February 6th, 2011, 07:26 AM
So I decided to switch from Vista to Windows 7. Before, with Vista, I would boot then select either my Ubuntu 10.10 installation or Vista (loader) from the grub menu, but now that I've upgraded to 7, the grub menu no longer appears and I'm just led into Windows. This i obviously a problem. I've read some other posts, but they all want me to boot from an Ubuntu install disk then use the "sudo grub" command, for which I receive a "command not found" error. When I was attempting this I ran "sudo fdisk -l" and found that Ubuntu 10.10 was on /dev/sda5, Win7 was on /dev/sda1, and my swap partition was on /dev/sda3. I just don't know what to do at this point lol.

So since you have run the sudo fdisk command here is the link you need. You will run the fdisk again to confirm the information then run the next two commands and reboot to the grub menu.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling%20GRUB%202

If you want the actual commands posted just ask, after providing the actual readout of the fdisk command.:)

Kchymet
February 6th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks, I figured it out.